Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hike in Fishing

Hike in Fishing

Looking for alpine or off the beaten path lakes to try and do some fishing in.
    I have been bringing the rod on several hikes through covid so that I can choose some hikes while the girlfriend still gets the workout aspect in.

here is a list of what I have done recently with success (re: failure) rate:
    - lower pierce (bites but no catch)
    - lindeman (bites but no catch)
    - deeks lake (caught rainbow)
    - barrier lake/lesser garibaldi? (caught rainbow)
    - eaton lake (bites and lots of fish, no catch)

Would like to try brunswick lake past deeks as it’s the most scenic of the 3 on the hsct, but not sure if it holds any fish.

What are your experiences with hike in fishing?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hike in Fishing

hike in lakes are usually a waste of time. i dont think we put in fish by helicopter.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    hike in lakes are usually a waste of time. i dont think we put in fish by helicopter.

that being said my two most productive, with the largest fish.. are both hike in lakes.. makes you wonder if some of these lakes may have had native populations of fish besides all these god awful trout stuffed everywhere..

the people of BC could only dream of having the fishing that the other provinces do, besides the ocean and that’s a rich mans game, walleye perch and small mouth bass are the most delicious fish going !!
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 06-23-2021 at 09:31 PM.

they use helicopters to stock fish

Cathedral park lakes by keremeos have some awesome fishing

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    that being said my two most productive, with the largest fish.. are both hike in lakes.. makes you wonder if some of these lakes may have had native populations of fish besides all these god awful trout stuffed everywhere..

the people of BC could only dream of having the fishing that the other provinces do, besides the ocean and that’s a rich mans game, walleye perch and small mouth bass are the most delicious fish going !!
    it also depends on what you consider hiking. you can always hike to any lowland lake where fishing is good. i mean pennask is over a km in elevation. but more alpine lakes like the op mentions are nutritionally poor and fish are usually small , and if we stock by helicopter some lakes freeze over and kill the fish. i learned to leave rods at home and just enjoy the scenery. there may be exceptions of course.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

About 5 years ago we did a group hike into Mamquam , it’s a long hike , I think 22 K but excellent scenery . A fellow was catching rainbows from shore with a simple spinning setup .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Hike in referring to gaining some elevation.
    Hike in could also be something that is off the beaten path as well with less elevation gain but sees less foot traffic due to effort involved.
    I understand alpine lakes have less nutrition and the risk of freeze kill, but there are some resilient trout out there in these lakes.

Ladyslipper, mamquam are on the to do list.
    Enjoying the scenery while casting a line after a trek is a fine way to spend a day (or two) in my opinion

While I haven't done this in years, we definitely did when I was a few years younger. Some of the best tasting fish are in those high altitude lakes. Not many people fishing them, and plenty of fish to catch, not necessarily the largest, but the most taste for sure. Nothing like fishing out of a glazier fed lake. We have found some very interesting places, with as little as 15 min walk in, to 6 1/2 hours of extreme hiking.
    One of the main drawbacks of some of the high altitude lakes is they are frozen over soo late. Revelstoke area, Kimberly area we ran into 5 ft plus of snow in late June, mid July. Monashee area hold plenty of nice access hike in lakes as well. "Top of the World" park also comes into mind. That said, I have been to a few off beaten path lakes that held some of the largest rainbows I have caught, not necessarily the largest by size, as those are in the Kamloops area, but the largest length. Take for instance your standard white/black belly boat fin, and add several inches to that. Those were the great days of measuring devices, as the actual catch and how large it was didn't matter as much as the experience of it. Sometimes you catch a fish like that and you just pack up for the day, as not to wreck such an experience. I have caught 6ft plus sturgeon, but a large rainbow on a small light fly rod still trumps many of those catches.

One I never did get into, but always wanted is Peter's Lake, up above Sugar lake, Monashee area.

Almost time to get my fat azz into shape and do this again.

We used a map book to pick a lake, and sometimes would look for the harder rated hikes as this would lessen the people impact, pack our belly boat gear and head out for a few days. Our only parameters were staying in BC and go! Goats, grizz, moose, sheep, caribou were all on the get ready to take photo list in that country.

Heard Fire lake is supposed to be decent, up in Harrison Valley
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...