Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Atv accident lessons

Re: Atv accident lessons

I have seen guys roll their ATV's by going too fast in country they are not familiar with, but most of the accidents that resulted in injury have been guys loading their ATV's into the back of their pickups with those fold out ramps. Sadly, I have also known two people that killed themselves on an ATV. One went through a barbed wire fence at night going down a trail he had not been on before. He was going at a fair clip and I will just leave it to your imagination as to the injuries but they were not pretty.

The second guy was a farmer we knew that lost it on a corner and rolled down into a ravine with the ATV rolling over him. It was a trail he had ridden down hundreds of times and that last time must have been distracted for some reason.

As Mr Rupp said, familiarity breeds contempt. We all are guilty of this and hopefully we get a wakeup call before something serious happens.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Wow ! Was not expecting some of the incidents encountered by my friends on HBC..THANK YOU for sharing your personal experiences.glad everyone survived...first 25 years of my career it was predominantly horse incidents.
    Last 13 years by far was ATV incidents.
    I was never as highly trained as Tarcher..mine was usually going into the wilderness by chopper..MR TARCHER did that and transport to vancouver...thank you my friend.
    Thinking back on notes heading back to camp tired wet cold..speed creeped.up..consequences could have been permanent or fatal.
    PLEASE be safe AND think about how to access Spot or Inreach or sat phone and keep it close..you just may not be able to access it in places outside your reach.
    Sermon is over..living begins..
    Steven

A couple years back during a spring bear hunt, my best friend had one of the cables on his tailgate part while he was unloading his QUAD. Luckily the tailgate was caught by the bumper but he nearly came off. Was one of those events that made us both stand back and take a hard look at the simple things we take for granted that can quickly change our lives. We were lucky.

Glad you are on the mend Steven!

Be safe out there folks.

last fall my hunting partner was loading his quad into the truck his rear right wheel came of the ramp.He was near the top of the ramp very lucky it never fell off and landed on top of him I booked it over there real quick and pushed up the rear rack to get the quad level and we were able to pull it up into the truck box . Had it in 4 wheel drive probably saved the bike from falling backward lesson learned
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    So true . . .

Was distracted . . . had only put one ramp down, backed off my Fargo. You can guess the rest. The bottom dog on the powersaw missed my eye socket and went in as far as my ear, stick pierced my cheek.
    Quad on top, thought my back was broken, was able to get out and stand up after a while. Another hour until I was strong enough to roll the quad over on its wheels.
    Went up both ramps and went drove back to PG. This happened at Freya Lake. Was alone.
    Broken cheekbone, fractured eye socket, teeth didn't mesh, broken wrist. The accident straightened out my broken nose. Can breath real good now.

As Steven says . . . "teaching from my failures." Good advice Steven!
    Holy Crap Bud - that was a Nasty one ! Have to Keep a Good eye on you out on our Moose Hunt ! RJ

A Trapper fellow a few years back in Alberta spent 4 days pinned under his Quad after a mistake and rolled it on top of himself ! A Hiker found him and saved him from Certain death ! The SOS might have got him HELP a lot sooner ! RJ

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...eaver-1.697793
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 06-23-2021 at 09:19 PM.

Hmm like my fellow Paramedic..could not believe the intense pain of # ribs...could not move my Honda 500 off me..Susan gave the quad some gas and it drovery off me and we headed 3 blocks to our Hospital.
    In many of the areas I frequent it would never have resulted in anyone finding me.in time or ever.lived
    Silly to have the Global star or inreach and having it out of reach.
    That is now solved and the sole reason for my post.
    THanks RJ
    SRUPP

Good to hear you are healing. I used to race ATVs and did quite well. I figured while using my atv to access hunting areas I didnt need a helmet. One day a 5mph slow speed rollover found me trapped under my rig, the handlebars pushing my lip through my teeth. I wear a helmet without exception now!

You know. its kinda a shame it takes us an accident to see these things. This is also why when things happen it is good to do a Deconstruct of it to see how you can prevent it like you did, or at least identify where a larger problem might happen.

A guy i know in Ucluelet shot a big buck. He took his quad to it and it rolled. i cant remember exactly what he broke but he couldnt walk. he had to drag himself out untill he got found. his lesson was where the limits are on his quad.
    glad your good now Steven. Been a bit of a roller coaster for you im sure.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Complacency is the Devil, ask me how I know ! True Wilderness is beautiful but also unforgiving.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !