Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Atv accident lessons

Re: Atv accident lessons

I flipped a trike on myself this weekend trying to climb two awkwardly spaced logs on a bit of an incline. Rolled right over backwards and landed on my back with the trike under my foot. Had a good laugh and came out with a sore back. Thankfully it was a light machine. Trikes are sketchy for sure but I wouldn't want to have the same thing happen with a big quad.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Hmm very happy your OK.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Yes Ron..saw this unfortunate incident both dead..sad.
    Makes me even more thankful that I can feel my broaken ribs still.
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    So true . . .

Was distracted . . . had only put one ramp down, backed off my Fargo. You can guess the rest. The bottom dog on the powersaw missed my eye socket and went in as far as my ear, stick pierced my cheek.
    Quad on top, thought my back was broken, was able to get out and stand up after a while. Another hour until I was strong enough to roll the quad over on its wheels.
    Went up both ramps and went drove back to PG. This happened at Freya Lake. Was alone.
    Broken cheekbone, fractured eye socket, teeth didn't mesh, broken wrist. The accident straightened out my broken nose. Can breath real good now.

As Steven says . . . "teaching from my failures." Good advice Steven!
    when we were transporting the quad we had it sideways on the trailer...I noticed buddy would put the ramps on the same side of the trailer to unload as to load...I asked him why he didn't put the ramps on the other side and drive forward off...we looked at each other said hmmmmm and moved the ramps to the other side....

Very SAD occurence for Sure ! Dieing from a ATV accident - Shitty way to go out of this World ! RJ

Hey Steve, just saw the post about your accident, hope you've healed completely ! your old quad is still going strong, I will be extra cautious after reading this thread for sure, a sobering reminder of how things change change in a flash.

Quote Originally Posted by basscanada View Post
    Hey Steve, just saw the post about your accident, hope you've healed completely ! your old quad is still going strong, I will be extra cautious after reading this thread for sure, a sobering reminder of how things change change in a flash.
    Great to hear your well..and the ATV..HOW IS your new addition to the familly ?
    Cheers
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by white moose View Post
    Was just thinking about strapping the ramps, its pretty simple science. Its a must, specially with lifted trucks.
    Who needs a quad when you have a lifted truck, don't those things go everywhere?
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

I took a rented quad up through a mature Jack Pole Pine forest to retrieve a large 4 point mulie up on a ridge. I had to jump wind falls as it was only a 2 wheel drive, I stalled the motor trying to jump a couple of windfalls at the same time, the bike rolled backwards and slammed into a standing snag... a 10 ft widow-maker broke off from the top and imbedded itself in the the ground beside me. I took a few minutes to calm down, continued up hill to the mulie that my Dad and I left field dressed the night before, and got him out to the landing.
    Decided to drive the bike with the buck head's strapped to the back rack and his body dragging behind me up on a mound to make it easier to load into my truck. The weight of the deer going uphill caused the quad to flipped over backwards and instantly I found myself standing on the deer with my arms raised up in the air holding the bike up from crashing down on me.
    I could not let go of the bike and get clear of the bike in time, my arms were starting to shake from the exertion...it seemed like 15-20 minutes had passed, but it was probably only a couple of minutes. Finally, I was able to push up on the quad and took some small steps forward to heave it back off me.
    I had harvested the biggest buck of my life, but I was inexperienced as an operator, and it was -20. Although I was alone at the time, my Dad showed up shortly after I loaded the buck into my truck.
    I learned some valuable lessons that day, I should have waited for my Dad before trying to retrieve the deer, quads are heavy, a 4x4 quad would have been a better choice, quads flip easily, and a chainsaw would have helped clearing a path.
    It was a hunt of a lifetime, as I shot that buck with my Dad standing beside me, and we had hunted him hard for a couple of weeks. But on that day I was lucky.