Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Atv accident lessons

Re: Atv accident lessons

Quote Originally Posted by Mudsey View Post
    I've had 2 ATV accidents. I was trying to get up to retrieve a mule deer I shot in a clear cut. I was going up a hill and there was lots of fireweed as I crested a hill there was a log on the ground I didn't see until too late. When I hit the log my quad came over backwards, I pushed myself off to the side and slid downhill on my back. The quad bounced beside me and sustained quite a bit of damage. If it would have landed on me I would have been severely hurt. Second time was loading onto pick-up and ramps shot out and like first time as quad came back I pushed myself off to the side and quad landed beside me. Learned my lesson and always strap my ramps to truck.
    Glad you are ok Mudsey, what size is your ATV ?

Frequently things happens so fast there is no time to even react , a friend came close to breaking bones when his 250cc partially landed on him, most people ride bigger ones that are well over 500 lbs if not closer to 700 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Mudsey View Post
    I've had 2 ATV accidents. I was trying to get up to retrieve a mule deer I shot in a clear cut. I was going up a hill and there was lots of fireweed as I crested a hill there was a log on the ground I didn't see until too late. When I hit the log my quad came over backwards, I pushed myself off to the side and slid downhill on my back. The quad bounced beside me and sustained quite a bit of damage. If it would have landed on me I would have been severely hurt. Second time was loading onto pick-up and ramps shot out and like first time as quad came back I pushed myself off to the side and quad landed beside me. Learned my lesson and always strap my ramps to truck.
    Was just thinking about strapping the ramps, its pretty simple science. Its a must, specially with lifted trucks.

A fair bit on ramps here. I learned that when I was a kid loading my motorcycles. Dad drilled a sloppy 1/4” hole the ramp and in the tailgate to drop in a 1/4” bolt so not to kick out. Dummy me when I got a 3 wheel Honda big red took me a couple of close calls to get the drill out. My DIY atv deck is 5’ high, I have hooks on the ramps like scaffolding planks and hook on to a cross bar.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

another ATV accident

-Wyoming rancher pinned under ATV for 2 days survived on water, beer

-Frank Reynolds, 53, dislocated his shoulder and broke some ribs

-He’s really lucky that the drinks landed within reach of his right arm,' his brother said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9773899/Wyoming-rancher-pinned-ATV-survives-beer-water-2-days.html
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    Im a fabricator by trade, and I dont see how roll cages would require revamping the whole machine at all. These things only weigh 700lbs at best, and a cage attached to the racks would certainly hold it up. I have often thought of building one for my ATV, which could double as a canoe rack
    I looked in to roll bars once, out of curiosity, for my Polaris Sportsman 500. I never did end up getting one but came across this flexible roll bar that keeps the ATV off of you and give you some space to work yourself out from underneath; one of the products is https://atvlifeguards.com/

I personally wouldn’t want a hard roll bar / cage if I’m not secured to the ATV as their is the likelihood of me dislodging from the ATV and getting and arm / leg / other part of me caught between the roll bar and ground.

There is also the Polaris Ace which solves both problem, your strapped in and protected by a cage. Same width as an ATV so it’ll go most if not all of the same places.

Just have to have an ounce of caution and a little fear for the what if’s when riding. A friend of mine has come close to seriously injuring himself numerous times but out of his temptation to throw caution to the wind; including the stereotypical loading accident justified to him as he had never had an issue before.

Also don’t forget your helmets! It astounds me that people ride (anything) without helmets nowadays…..

2 different ATV's but both were 400's. First one went end over end 3 times beside me and sustained a lot of damage. Second time I had a 4hsp outboard motor strapped to the front rack and a deflated zodiac to the back rack so they prevented any damage to the ATV. Bent the keel on the outboard but it straighten easily. Really lucky I never got hurt and now I ALWAYS strap the loading ramp to the truck.

At least ATVs, that includes dirt bikes, are safer than horses . At least in Colorado by ER visits .

Hmm GUYS AND GALS., practice safe riding procedures..
    And instead of beer and water luckily landing within reach..

Buy and use a PERSONAL EMERGENCY COMUNICATION DEVICE..AND KEEP IT WITHIN REACH AT ALL TIMES.
    Be safe.
    Steven Rupp

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm so reasonably healed up from my ATV accident several months ago what lesson did I learn ?
    First accidents happen frightenlyrics fast.in my case no chance to prepare.
    Had this happened in the bush while hunting..I realize if my emergency comunication device mine is
    Spot..IF it were in my back pack or rear day box on my quad I never could have accessed the device !
    Laying under a 600 pound vehicle with broken ribs,liver hurt,and acutely short of breath..
    This happened in my drive way with Susan there.
    If you can't reach theses Emergency devices they won't help.
    Mine is now on a lanyard around my neck inside vest or jacket or shirt..that If can functioning can access help with your communication device as intended.
    Thought I would try and help others with my failure.
    Cheers
    Srupp
    First of all, I'm glad to hear of your recovery and 2nd...thank you for sharing this new piece of knowledge you have acquired. You are quite right about keeping you device where you can actually reach it...kinda of like keeping your cell phone in your pocket not your console where it will get lost in a roll over. Maybe your post will have a domino effect and save a life one day.

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    While loading an ATV on to the pickup, the front wheels were in the pickup bed and the rear tires were still on the ramps. The rear wheels spun and shot the ramps out from beneath the ATV. The ATV went over backwards with me on it, I was knocked unconscious, my wife heard the crash and came out and thought that I was dead.
    Ever since that incident I now load the ATV into the pickup with the winch and a u-ring mounted in the truck bed, and I never ride it in like I see so many people doing.
    MM
    Sounds like a great idea, this old fart is going to try it. Thanks!