Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Atv accident lessons

Re: Atv accident lessons

Hmm was pulling it out of pickup..it wouldn't come out.,so started 500 up into reverse and tried to feather the throttle..it came back however that action pinned the throttle wide open ..the ATV came wide open handie bars ripping my abdomen..liver.,atv continued over me tearing up hips legs driving me into cement flower edging..ATV on top of me..
    Cause..impatience..not knowing the possible outcome of a new process.
    I was a idiot..and suffered the painful consequences.
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    things can happen very quickly, lots of good advice on this thread...I think the biggest one for me is keeping your inreach/zoleo/spot/etc on your body at all times, and the older I get knowing the limits and not testing them especially if I'm solo

this cross appeared in one of my little honey holes a few years back, I believe I may have been there the day the accident happened but I backed out once I saw another camp setup...hit home for me because I hunt alone 99% of the time, and in the same spot as this gentleman....from what I googled he passed away after flipping his quad

if his friends or family are on here, condolences again for your loss...hope it was ok to post this as a memorial and reminder for others, seemed like the right thread for it

WOW, I grew up with Randy from Kindergarten right through to many years after grad! That was a very tragic event for an extremely great guy, gone way to young! I still keep in touch with a couple of his old hunting partners! K

A 38 year old VI man was killed in an ATV accident yesterday. Please be careful out there folks.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...oad-1.24338860

[QUOTE=srupp;2265530]Hmm was pulling it out of pickup..it wouldn't come out.,so started 500 up into reverse and tried to feather the throttle..it came back however that action pinned the throttle wide open ..the ATV came wide open handie bars ripping my abdomen..liver.,atv continued over me tearing up hips legs driving me into cement flower edging..ATV on top of me..
    Cause..impatience..not knowing the possible outcome of a new process.
    I was a idiot..and suffered the painful consequences.

Your FRIGGIN LUCKY that's all that happened to you ! Glad your Healing Well ! RJ

Thanks RJ...the broaken ribs SUCK..AND THE slowest to heal seems both wrists hands..the cement flower border stuck up 18 "..when the quad drove me down and parked on me..my ribs hit the edge of that cement edge..THAT'S what did the lateral and frontal ribs in..hugging cough sneeze pillows for 2 months..
    I'm 70 % better physically..some road rash just won't heal..still picking bit's of cement out of my elbows..
    Just inattention and not slowing it down,,trying to rush it..impatience.
    Anyone that has rode with me knows that's not my usual style..it normally is safe slow and steady..but I have done indeed things that could have bitten me in the ass..but didn't till now.
    But it's the stupid mistakes that kill.
    I was lucky left with bumps lumps pain to remember this lesson.
    Cheers
    Guy's
    Srupp

Last weekend, My daughter had a accident on a quad that she was Very lucky to walk away from.
    She grew up riding this quad and rides like it is part of her( over 20 years same quad). She was riding a trail she has ridden a 1000 times over the years.
    The mistake she made was to take her left hand off the handle bar long enough to take a drink of water. At that moment she staddled a rock of about 4 inches. The rock caught the inside of the front tire and it instantly fired her over the bank. I have always taught her that if something like this happens, save yourself...she bailed as a reflex and only ended up with some bruising...to both body and ego. This happened on a bank to steep to walk up, she was Very lucky!!
    KEEP both hands on the bars while moving please.
    Last edited by btridge; 07-09-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Don't be over confident atv accidents happen very fast. If there is a more experienced rider in your group don't be afraid to ask for help overcoming an obstacle. I'd way rather show someone how to cross something than pull their bike off them.

Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    Last weekend, My daughter had a accident on a quad that she was Very lucky to walk away from.
    She grew up riding this quad and rides like it is part of her( over 20 years same quad). She was riding a trail she has ridden a 1000 times over the years.
    The mistake she made was to take her left hand off the handle bar long enough to take a drink of water. At that moment she staddled a rock of about 4 inches. The rock caught the inside of the front tire and it instantly fired her over the bank. I have always taught her that if something like this happens, save yourself...she bailed as a reflex and only ended up with some bruising...to both body and ego. This happened on a bank to steep to walk up, she was Very lucky!!
    KEEP both hands on the bars while moving please.
    Very happy she is OK..
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by Sportster View Post
    Apparently the big three (Yamaha, Polaris and can-am)are pulling out of the market in Australia because of new safety equipment regulations on quads. Don't quote me on this, maybe someone out there knows more details about this. But, apparently all new quads sold will have to be equipped with large role cadges. The manufacturers are claiming that they would have to completely redesign their ATV vehicles(quads)to accommodate these new safety measures at significant cost, therefore they have decided to pull out of the market. Again, apparently atv (quad)accidents are rampant in Australia and is costing the country millions of dollars every year in medical expenses.
    Im a fabricator by trade, and I dont see how roll cages would require revamping the whole machine at all. These things only weigh 700lbs at best, and a cage attached to the racks would certainly hold it up. I have often thought of building one for my ATV, which could double as a canoe rack

I've had 2 ATV accidents. I was trying to get up to retrieve a mule deer I shot in a clear cut. I was going up a hill and there was lots of fireweed as I crested a hill there was a log on the ground I didn't see until too late. When I hit the log my quad came over backwards, I pushed myself off to the side and slid downhill on my back. The quad bounced beside me and sustained quite a bit of damage. If it would have landed on me I would have been severely hurt. Second time was loading onto pick-up and ramps shot out and like first time as quad came back I pushed myself off to the side and quad landed beside me. Learned my lesson and always strap my ramps to truck.