Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Atv accident lessons

Re: Atv accident lessons

Would like to say thanks for this thread, I am into my seventies and have thousands of miles on trikes then quads with no serious incidents. I recognize that loading and unloading my quad on ramps into the back of my pickup box is probably the most hazardous activity I do and I had become complacent in using a safety strap to keep the ramps secured. I am now recommitted to this all the time, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by ddh View Post
    Would like to say thanks for this thread, I am into my seventies and have thousands of miles on trikes then quads with no serious incidents. I recognize that loading and unloading my quad on ramps into the back of my pickup box is probably the most hazardous activity I do and I had become complacent in using a safety strap to keep the ramps secured. I am now recommitted to this all the time, every time.
    Hmmm then pointing out the inherent dangers no matter how many times done with no consequences was worth it.
    Cheers
    Srupp

things can happen very quickly, lots of good advice on this thread...I think the biggest one for me is keeping your inreach/zoleo/spot/etc on your body at all times, and the older I get knowing the limits and not testing them especially if I'm solo

this cross appeared in one of my little honey holes a few years back, I believe I may have been there the day the accident happened but I backed out once I saw another camp setup...hit home for me because I hunt alone 99% of the time, and in the same spot as this gentleman....from what I googled he passed away after flipping his quad

if his friends or family are on here, condolences again for your loss...hope it was ok to post this as a memorial and reminder for others, seemed like the right thread for it

Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Very well demonstrated..thanks BRO
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    We did some time in Aus. just tourist on the east side. I went in to farm equipment dealer asking directions to the local fair grounds. They had a Can-Am like my 08 on the floor. It had much heavier bumpers than mine. I pointed that out, "We tend to hit things."

I asked the Can-Am rep at the sportsman show top speed, for my 650 it was 78mph. I've never tested that.
    I own a 650 XT max and I've had it up to 120km/h before I backed off the throttle, that was on a long flat dirt road. One safety tip I would like to give is always have your ATV in 4 wheel drive when loading and unloading, it will help to prevent the back wheels from kicking the ramps off the back of your truck or trailer.

It can happen quickly anytime you are off road. We had to help this guy pull his KLR 650 out of the rhubarb last summer. Just slid off the road coming down a sweeping corner and a downed tree was sticking out a bit. Lucky he was ok. A KLR is hard enough to push around on flat ground. Try pulling one up a bank. Tough job for 4 guys and my truck, no way he was getting it out with just him and his buddy.

https://i.imgur.com/1yg0Brml.jpg

Sportster, you are a damm sight braver man than me

So what you are saying is keep you Inreach in reach. Got it.
    stay safe out there everyone.
    Wild Sheep Society
    Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Or your SPOT where you can SPOT it..lol
    Ya you pass you get it.
    Srupp

Glad you are mending. But what led to the quad flipping on you?

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm so reasonably healed up from my ATV accident several months ago what lesson did I learn ?
    First accidents happen frightenlyrics fast.in my case no chance to prepare.
    Had this happened in the bush while hunting..I realize if my emergency comunication device mine is
    Spot..IF it were in my back pack or rear day box on my quad I never could have accessed the device !
    Laying under a 600 pound vehicle with broken ribs,liver hurt,and acutely short of breath..
    This happened in my drive way with Susan there.
    If you can't reach theses Emergency devices they won't help.
    Mine is now on a lanyard around my neck inside vest or jacket or shirt..that If can functioning can access help with your communication device as intended.
    Thought I would try and help others with my failure.
    Cheers
    Srupp
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.