Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Atv accident lessons

Re: Atv accident lessons

My quad accident happened a long time ago, 1989. I was bringing a quarter of moose out of the bush on the back of a quad. It was strapped to a Trapper Nelson packboard which was on my back. A short steep incline had me on my back before I could blink. I was sandwiched between the front quarter of moose and the quad. Lucky I wasn't hurt. I managed to roll a bit to the side as the quad went over backwards.
    The quad was a Yamaha 2WD racing machine with no cargo racks.
    Lessons learned.
    1. distribute your load evenly between the front and back of the quad. Too much weight on the back is a dangerous thing when ascending a steep incline.
    2. keep the load as low as possible. A high centre of gravity is dangerous and can lead to uncontrolled and unexpected back flips. (same logic applies to not standing up in a canoe)
    3. if you dont have racks on the quad, tow your load in a trailer or on a sled.
    4. TAKE AN ATV RIDER SAFETY COURSE
    Semper in excretum altum

Glad you’re almost healed srupp.
    I have a spot but will be replacing it with the delorm in reach.

When I had a quad I always used a ratchet strap to keep the ramps from kicking off the tailgate

lastnight after getting the last of the decorations set up for my sons high school grad( today at 12:30 ) I went for a rip on my dirt bike with my youngest son and a friend. On our way home we were coming down a not so well maintained hydro access road. My bike was off, coasting in neutral going 15km hr. I went over a rock that spans the entire width of the road when my front tire slid out causing me to fall to my left pile driving my left shoulder into the road. Immediate pain in the shoulder followed by the feeling of wanting to puke. After 5-10min of rolling around swearing and being pissed off I got back on my bike and continued down the 8% boulder covered switch backs with one hand until I reached the valley road. Another 26km of roads and I was home. Now I’m waiting in the Er to get an X-ray.
    A lot of the time slow speed crashes are the worst ones.

Quads will be sold with the small roll bar attached to the back seat soon, just like riding mowers. A guy in Kelowna reps the company that makes aftermarket ones.

I watched a guy roll his quad onto himself at Tunkwa Lake resort a few years ago backing off the truck. Guys came up from the city and were rushing to get into the bush and the quad rolled over and drove his head into the ground with the handlebars. I was driving by slowly and watched the whole thing from about 15 ft. Those handlebars smashed him right in the chops and buddy was OK but shaken up big time. Was quite an eye opener about how quickly it happens.

While loading an ATV on to the pickup, the front wheels were in the pickup bed and the rear tires were still on the ramps. The rear wheels spun and shot the ramps out from beneath the ATV. The ATV went over backwards with me on it, I was knocked unconscious, my wife heard the crash and came out and thought that I was dead.
    Ever since that incident I now load the ATV into the pickup with the winch and a u-ring mounted in the truck bed, and I never ride it in like I see so many people doing.
    MM

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    Glad you’re almost healed srupp.
    I have a spot but will be replacing it with the delorm in reach.

When I had a quad I always used a ratchet strap to keep the ramps from kicking off the tailgate

lastnight after getting the last of the decorations set up for my sons high school grad( today at 12:30 ) I went for a rip on my dirt bike with my youngest son and a friend. On our way home we were coming down a not so well maintained hydro access road. My bike was off, coasting in neutral going 15km hr. I went over a rock that spans the entire width of the road when my front tire slid out causing me to fall to my left pile driving my left shoulder into the road. Immediate pain in the shoulder followed by the feeling of wanting to puke. After 5-10min of rolling around swearing and being pissed off I got back on my bike and continued down the 8% boulder covered switch backs with one hand until I reached the valley road. Another 26km of roads and I was home. Now I’m waiting in the Er to get an X-ray.
    A lot of the time slow speed crashes are the worst ones.
    Hope all turns out well.I'm not the only one who found out how fast accidents happen..holy shyte.moment literally..and without emergency comunication being in your immediate grasp they might as well be at home.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Great reminder for sure. I am planning on a device this year, and that is great advice to actually keep it in arms length.

Seen a few accidents over the years, and most were inexperienced riders with a mix of wobbly pops which directly leads to riding stupid in the back country. Just why do guys do this is beyond me. Either do one or the other, not both at the same time. I don't even want to be around guys that liquor up in hunting camp anymore, just senseless. My opinion for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    While loading an ATV on to the pickup, the front wheels were in the pickup bed and the rear tires were still on the ramps. The rear wheels spun and shot the ramps out from beneath the ATV. The ATV went over backwards with me on it, I was knocked unconscious, my wife heard the crash and came out and thought that I was dead.
    Ever since that incident I now load the ATV into the pickup with the winch and a u-ring mounted in the truck bed, and I never ride it in like I see so many people doing.
    MM
    I have a tall truck and only 6' ramps. If I cant back into a ditch for load/unloading I use the winch as well to both load and unload!

Quite a few years ago I was loading my 600 grizzly (heavy ) on to my trailer which I had done for years. The ramps decided to buckle when the rear tires where half way up and over we go backwards with the quad landing on me pinned under neath. Now I do not
    Remember what happened but I lifted the quad of myself with my left Arm and it was sitting on its side beside me. I know this because I could no lift a cup of coffee for several weeks, quess I ripped all the mussels in my chest and arm doing this little feat.
    Lucky I had a friend with me as I did break 8 ribs, just not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by robert05 View Post
    Quite a few years ago I was loading my 600 grizzly (heavy ) on to my trailer which I had done for years. The ramps decided to buckle when the rear tires where half way up and over we go backwards with the quad landing on me pinned under neath. Now I do not
    Remember what happened but I lifted the quad of myself with my left Arm and it was sitting on its side beside me. I know this because I could no lift a cup of coffee for several weeks, quess I ripped all the mussels in my chest and arm doing this little feat.
    Lucky I had a friend with me as I did break 8 ribs, just not fun.
    8 ribs - Yikes ! I have done in my ribs twice over the years wrecking on a Snowmobile - They HURT Bad and take a LONG time to Heal ! RJ

Buddy and i are heading out to Pukeashun mountain for a QUAD ride ay 6 am in the morning ! We like our Quad riding & Sledding ! RJ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pukeashun_Mountain