Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indian Arm

Indian Arm

Hey guys, I was lucky enough to get an LEH for the elk draw in the Indian River valley for the fall. Just starting to do my research and will start scouting next week. Has anyone been in there from Squamish side recently? Any tips on where to look for the herd? Any advice or info is much appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Indian Arm

I had the antlerless elk draw in there last year and was unsuccessful but close, but my son drew the same tag again this year so I will be there again! I can pm you what I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdog View Post
    I had the antlerless elk draw in there last year and was unsuccessful but close, but my son drew the same tag again this year so I will be there again! I can pm you what I know.
    That would be awesome, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperYeti View Post
    That would be awesome, thank you!
    If you are looking to camp in there once you get down in the valley on the arm side there are a number of pullouts where you can set up yourself along the riverbed as it should be pretty low by then. There are also a couple spots up at Norton Lake as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MB_Boy View Post
    If you are looking to camp in there once you get down in the valley on the arm side there are a number of pullouts where you can set up yourself along the riverbed as it should be pretty low by then. There are also a couple spots up at Norton Lake as well.
    Thanks. Are you able to get up to Norton driving, or is it walk-in only? Backroads Maps shows a missing bridge, and google maps show no road connecting. It looks like it's definately accesible from the watershed side, but of course that's a no-go zone.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperYeti View Post
    Thanks. Are you able to get up to Norton driving, or is it walk-in only? Backroads Maps shows a missing bridge, and google maps show no road connecting. It looks like it's definately accesible from the watershed side, but of course that's a no-go zone.
    You used to be able to but I haven't been in there for a few years and it's been even longer since had gone up to Norton so perhaps it has been deactivated? I had thought you could drive right down into the arm again but someone may have better intel.

Sent you PM.

The road to the arm is easily drivable with most vehicles. You would need an ATV or 4X4 to get up to Norton lake (lots of rock climbing and some deep deep ruts to manoeuvre through). 5 years ago I saw a couple herds of elk in the area but haven't been back there until 3 weeks ago. There was some old elk sign on a couple spurs on the way to Norton. I was surprised by the lack of much bear sign in the area. Good luck on your hunt. There's an elk just around the next corner across the gulley on the side of the hill.

Don't discount finding the herd on the main line parallel to Indian River. I came across them there 2k from the Hixon branch at the crack of first light last season. I did also drive my truck most of the way to Norton but that was a bad call... it's pretty thick and gnarly in there. It seems like there are a lot of bridges that have been taken out in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by high and to the right View Post
    The road to the arm is easily drivable with most vehicles. You would need an ATV or 4X4 to get up to Norton lake (lots of rock climbing and some deep deep ruts to manoeuvre through). 5 years ago I saw a couple herds of elk in the area but haven't been back there until 3 weeks ago. There was some old elk sign on a couple spurs on the way to Norton. I was surprised by the lack of much bear sign in the area. Good luck on your hunt. There's an elk just around the next corner across the gulley on the side of the hill.
    Thanks for the info, there's always some quarry around the next corner