Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: region 8-15 moose

region 8-15 moose

hello all!
    excited to have my first moose draw and in a area that i have no idea about as i just moved here with my wife and newborn daughter(hopefully get her a moose one day)!

region 8-15
    October 1-30

not asking for any honey holes just a general idea on where to head out to set some cameras and do some scouting and get my boots on the ground to get my dad a moose that hes always wanted...
    ive heard out north fork can be productive for moose but thats a broad area.
    thanks for the help in advance look forward to taking my old man out and hopefully get some meat in the freezer.

cheers!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: region 8-15 moose

Congrats on the draw!

I am familiar with the area but have not seen a moose in that region…heard that they do exist there though.
    Bunchgrass fsr from north fork to the east. Was up there in the spring and looked like a promising area, was half expecting a moose around each corner. Heard Stewart creek fsr towards Christina lake may hold moose as well.

couple of nice rec sites at the end of north fork (43km) if you plan on staying outside of town.

best of luck!!

Seen one outside Midway and Greenwood yesterday

Head up into the Granby watershed.

I hunted Greenwood for years and we saw them up Boundary Creek quite frequently, but that was 8-14. I’ve spent less time to the east of Boundary but we have been in the top end of 8-15 a bit. There are moose but they are few and far between. I’d shoot the first bull you see and not hold out for a big one because you won’t see too many of them.

I saw a great bull years ago hunting the alpine not far from Jewel Lake. It was the last place I expected to see one.

Good luck!

Early October the rut is at the peak so using a moose call is an option , they can come in very stealthily - very quiet for such a big animal , keep in mind there are grizzlies in 8-15

You literally can find them anywhere but usually 2500-4500 ft level is a good bet and as mentioned don't hold out for a big bull

No shortage of moose up the Granby. Also have lots of whitetails.

Great tag to get, sent u a PM

Thanks a lot for the input everybody. Happy to get the draw and going to put in some work this summer scouting out some areas. Tough to juggle time last year with newborn and house Reno’s so I didn’t get out to explore much . Moved her last year in June. Look forward to checking all the areas. Thanks again everyone, I appreciate it.

Went out for the last few days. No luck so far. Anyone see any, anywhere?
    cheers

You need to use the 8-15 moose call made by HP outdoors. You will also need an orange traffic cone. What you do is find a nice dead end cut block to setup. Then you lay the cone on its side with the keyboard behind it and type on it, H-E-R-E M-O-O-S-E. If it doesn’t work try typing faster or slower. This only works in 8-15 so don’t try it elsewhere. Persistence is key.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."