Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking the ice...Spatsizi

Breaking the ice...Spatsizi

So I'll get the ball rolling with successful draw questions. I have sheep and moose for Spatsizi with a group of us into Coldfish Aug 21. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with where to look for sheep but I'm curious about the moose.
    I've flown into northern lakes around that time before and I've usually found moose in the subalpine almost into the alpine. Can I expect that, or should I focus on the lake?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Breaking the ice...Spatsizi

Haha good luck! Wish I could help but no experience
    Member of CCFR

On a mid-September hunt there a few years ago, we saw moose down at the lakes and up high in the subalpine. I'd recommend hunting low...unless you really enjoy long, heavy pack-outs! That said, you are going earlier than we did, and they are more likely to be up high then.

bcmulie

Take a boat, big lake, good fishing and moose at far end of lake where Gladys creek comes in. Seen moose swim across lake to reserve. Seen moose in back country while chasing caribou but too far to pack out. Camp cabins are nice with common cook house with stove and gravity feed running water. Beautiful spot.

Went to Coldfish lake once. Great fishing for sure where Gladys creek flows into the lake. Beautiful country for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyLimper View Post
    So I'll get the ball rolling with successful draw questions. I have sheep and moose for Spatsizi with a group of us into Coldfish Aug 21. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with where to look for sheep but I'm curious about the moose.
    I've flown into northern lakes around that time before and I've usually found moose in the subalpine almost into the alpine. Can I expect that, or should I focus on the lake?

Got room in the plane? I got a caribou draw there but planes out of Tatogga are full!
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Maybe, if you don't mind flying with my kids
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Got room in the plane? I got a caribou draw there but planes out of Tatogga are full!

I'm in. I'll sit on their laps!
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Good idea, get all the traumatic moments out of the way early.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    I'm in. I'll sit on their laps!

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyLimper View Post
    Did you fly into Coldfish?
    How’d you make out?