Thread: 7-28 Moose leh info ;)

7-28 Moose leh info ;)

I’ll be the first to ask about some info for up and coming moose hunt this fall, from sept 10-nov 5. Any tips is hugely appreciated as always

for those with experience

when would you say is the best chance to catch the rut during that time in that general area?
    any tips for my first time dedicated moose hunt? Do’s and dont’s
    would you suggest buying a moose call or just practise to call using my hands?

Thanks for the help in advance
    Member of CCFR

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 7-28 Moose leh info ;)

Damn you raced me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    I’ll be the first to ask about some info for up and coming moose hunt this fall, from sept 10-nov 5. Any tips is hugely appreciated as always

when would you say is the best chance to catch the rut during that time in that general area?

First week of October seems to work best for us.
    Call, call, and call. When you're done, call again.
    We use our nose and hands, works best. All you have to do is practice. Anyone can do it.
    Enjoy and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post

Sept 20-Oct 05, with the 25-05 being best, but have called in many bulls before that date.

I use my hands to call. I use mostly the cow call, but sometimes i will switch it up and do some bull grunts and raking, depending on whether the bull holds up. If he does, challenge him by raking with some grunts thrown in. I keep an scapula in my pack and use it.

You hunting east or west 28?

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Thank you both, I will be practicing even more now with my calls. I believe we will be east of 28 but I still need to chat with the father in law about what he thinks.
    thanks again

how’s the roads up there? Been reading old posts about that area and said logging was real busy up there a couple years ago or the mines and to bring multiple spare tires due to sharp rocks.
    also is that pretty safe, theft or anything to worry about
    Member of CCFR

Hmm T..get a box of tampons.YOU have to buy them yourself..and a bottle of buck expert synthetic cow in heat..the tampons are scent dispersal units.
    I recomend KC MOOSE magnum fibreglass moose calling horn..22 inch model from Cabelas.
    Hmm bulls are looking for love..fights are mostly all done by 20 sept..it's moose magic time.
    If you only get laid once a year you WILL be there..
    Call every 15..20 minutes bulls are moving trying to hook up
    If I actually see a bull with cows I will try a bull grunt..hey buddy I'm coming over to kick your ass and steal your cows..
    A bull usually won't leave a hot cow for another cow..
    Give me a phone call.look much to type
    Congrads on draw
    Srupp

That area is quite popular, some hunters who did not draw tag would still look for spike/fork in the vicinity of Ft St James. Mid Oct works better than Sept.
    Too many hobbies, too little time.

Thanks again Steve for your help and everyone else who has replied. Will be getting that kc moose call and be practising that.
    Member of CCFR