Thread: How to catch bullfrogs

How to catch bullfrogs

Summer is here, I am trying to find some new activities with my family. When I was watching hunting videos, some hunting bullfrog videos came up and I watched it. It seems fine, so I am thinking about to do it myself.

I know Bullfrog is an invasive species in BC, and is on schedule C. I also know there are some bullfrogs in the surrey area, which I can go and take a look. However, there are a couple of question:

1. Should I go there later in the evening? or it doesnt matter what time of the day?

2. How do I kill them? According to what I found, once I catch it, I am not allowed to release it back nor transport them alive. So I guess I will have to kill on site......... The question is HOW? I was thinking using a knife and poke the brain, but some website says I will need to apply benzocaine on the back of the frog first, before killing them. The problem is, if I do that, is the frog leg still edible?

3. Do you guys know any good place to catch bullfrogs? (without a lot of people walking around the trails) I live in Coquitlam. The place I found are in Surrey, a lot of ponds and parks, where people walk on the trails, etc...... It is illegal for me to transport the frogs alive nor to release it back, so I will have to kill it as soon as I catch it. I don't want other people watching me doing that...... Most people are not hunters, they think frogs are cute.........

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How to catch bullfrogs

The easiest way is at night, go to a pond where they hang out and bring a flash light. Their eyes light up and they pretty much just sit there. We used to use a small rod with about 3 feet of line and a treble hook. Place it under their chin and pull up fast. They will fight like made and try to pull the hook out with their legs. Just step on them lightly with your foot and stick them with a small knife. You can cut out the hind legs and pack them in a zip lock bag. Easy as can be. Good luck.
    "stupid branch got in the way...."

Hunt them in ponds after dark. I used a bright headlamp and a sharp spear . Heres a tip Do Not cut legs off until you skin them. Make a shallow cut around the leg at the top . Nail the frog to a board and use pliers to pull the skin off. Good eating similar to chicken.

I used to catch them as a kid. With a fishing rod. I would use a piece of colored foam cut like a fly body and then cut of a plastic bag into a small strip . Like a wing . NO HOOKS. You don’t need them!!!!!!!!!!! Tie your fishing line around the body and wing. Done fake fly. Then walk around the lilies and cat tails. And look for the eyes bounce it around. When they snap flick them up

Been clearing ditches in the Fraser Valley for farmers.
    I see thousands, as I chase them to end of the ditches.
    So I catch them with an excavator bucket, works pretty good.
    Buddy said I should blend them into the ditch wall.
    I think it’s a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Dour View Post
    I used to catch them as a kid. With a fishing rod. I would use a piece of colored foam cut like a fly body and then cut of a plastic bag into a small strip . Like a wing . NO HOOKS. You don’t need them!!!!!!!!!!! Tie your fishing line around the body and wing. Done fake fly. Then walk around the lilies and cat tails. And look for the eyes bounce it around. When they snap flick them up
    do you do this during the day time or night time? Also, I went to a couple of ponds last night, I can hear them but because they are deeper in the pond, I can’t really get to them. I am thinking either a small boat or wader is needed. Do you recommend wader or small boat? After you catch them, do you put them into plastic bags or something else? It will take a while to go back to the shore.

I have a big pond. And a Weimaraner. Any bullfrog that shows up is toast pretty quickly...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by digger dogger View Post
    Been clearing ditches in the Fraser Valley for farmers.
    I see thousands, as I chase them to end of the ditches.
    So I catch them with an excavator bucket, works pretty good.
    Buddy said I should blend them into the ditch wall.
    I think it’s a good idea!
    do you happen to know any ditches where public can get access to? The place I found are ponds in Surrey, I will need a wader or boat to get close to the frogs. I hope I can stay on dykes and just using a fishing rod to catch them, in this way, my kids can do it also.

Quote Originally Posted by trebreklaw View Post
    Hunt them in ponds after dark. I used a bright headlamp and a sharp spear . Heres a tip Do Not cut legs off until you skin them. Make a shallow cut around the leg at the top . Nail the frog to a board and use pliers to pull the skin off. Good eating similar to chicken.
    thank you for the tips. Do you use a wader to walk around the pond? Or boat? Or walk in the shoreline?

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I have a big pond. And a Weimaraner. Any bullfrog that shows up is toast pretty quickly...
    lol. Btw, I really like your signature.