Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all "sausage makers"

Re: Calling all "sausage makers"

Quote Originally Posted by cdub View Post
    Typically 10lb meat 1 lb water
    I go 9lbs meat, 500ml Water with the Stuffer’s mix packs into 19mm casings for pepperoni. Two runs through a LEM 5lb stuffer. I like it better with the dehydrator over the smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    "After mixing in the cure with water"

Are you talking about sodium nitrate? I would not want to put any chemicals or preservatives in my sausage.
    I think that is how to get botulism. Bacteria needs to be killed thermally and internally with some form of preservative. Just saying most of the sausage making books I have read usually have a chapter on how not to kill people. To each there own.

Quote Originally Posted by cdub View Post
    Typically 10lb meat 1 lb water
    Ohhh really? Well that explains it.. I was well(!) below that

Quote Originally Posted by sakohunter View Post
    I think that is how to get botulism. Bacteria needs to be killed thermally and internally with some form of preservative. Just saying most of the sausage making books I have read usually have a chapter on how not to kill people. To each there own.
    Yeah i didn't want to open a can of worms, also I am a total beginner, but from all the research I have done (which includes a couple of courses on the subject and talking to a few butcher friends), there is really no safe way around using some source of nitrate in the process for sausages like salami and snack sticks (different than brats, for example) for that exact reason. All the so called "nitrate free" recipes still have some source of it in it when you look closely. The trick is not to usee too much but just the minimum amount necessary to have the desired effect.

Happy to be educated otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Yeah i didn't want to open a can of worms, also I am a total beginner, but from all the research I have done (which includes a couple of courses on the subject and talking to a few butcher friends), there is really no safe way around using some source of nitrate in the process for sausages like salami and snack sticks (different than brats, for example) for that exact reason. All the so called "nitrate free" recipes still have some source of it in it when you look closely. The trick is not to usee too much but just the minimum amount necessary to have the desired effect.

Happy to be educated otherwise...
    That is really the difference between fresh sausages and cured sausages. I read a really interesting article of the type of vegetable and its uptake of nitrates from the soil they are grown in. If I am planning on sharing my sausages with friends and family then they are made to the safest standards and measurements. Sounds like you are doing things the right way and learning from the right people. Enjoy your sausage making.

Quote Originally Posted by sakohunter View Post

I don't know much about sausage making, that's why I asked, but I know nitrates are a cancer causing agent.
    There are some bacon available from the stores that doesn't have any.
    My gardpa was an old school butcher, he never use any of this stuff and nobody ever got sick from what he made.
    Wish he was still around so I could lear all he knew.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Fresh sausage will have no nitrates or nitrites, only salt. Smoked or dry cured will have the nitrites/nitrates added to deal with the curing of the meat. Some people try try celery for curing but you need to know the correct amount and in the end it is still a nitrate. If making smoked sausage or meats without these you are playing with fire in my opinion.

That's right, celery is naturally high nitrate which then gets converted to nitrite in the process.

From a website:
    USDA regulations require that meats cured with celery powder to be called “uncured” to distinguish them from conventionally cured products. Packages of meats cured with celery powder often say “No nitrates or nitrites added,” but also contain a statement “other than those which naturally occur in celery powder.” Many in the food industry believe a more accurate way to describe the products would be to call them “cured,” but still must comply with the regulations as written, which require them to be called “uncured.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    I don't know much about sausage making, that's why I asked, but I know nitrates are a cancer causing agent.
    There are some bacon available from the stores that doesn't have any.
    My gardpa was an old school butcher, he never use any of this stuff and nobody ever got sick from what he made.
    Wish he was still around so I could lear all he knew.
    Yeah there is a lot to learn from the old school butchers. There may have been additives that were used in the curing process that were not called nitrates but did the same thing as nitrates. I agree with limiting additives to the fresh sausages that I have made, but when they were cured sausages the bacteria was killed both thermally(over 165°F)and chemically(Prague powder). I am no expert but I listen to there advice.

one thing to keep in mind for cures at home is that you can use a very minimal amount compared to something store bought. anything mass produced is injected with the most preservatives and nitrites/nitrates possible, right up to the government allowed limit, simply for food safety. That meat is on a production line and they will do everything to stop any kind of bacteria or otherwise from spreading. When you cure at home, and you use good food handling and sanitation practices, you can reduce the amount of nitrite substantially. even at home you need to fight off the botulism.

also, it's technically not a ham or salami without that pink/red colour. that comes from the nitrites. through the curing process, the sodium nitrites bond with iron and oxygen in the meat, hence the pink colour (iron). the soduim nitrite is converted to nitric acid, so the real level of available nitrites is very low after the cure.

from what i understand, your body can process nitrites/nitrates just fine under a certain threshold. some foods, like celery and spinach, tend to have higher levels. but according to the state of california, everything causes cancer these days, even kale.

when i do a bacon cure, i don't include the prague powder #1 (sodium nitrite). i just put a generous amount of celery salt in with the mix, and it does have a slight effect on the colour. for my hams, you have to use the curing powder, but i reduce the amount of significantly, targeting 100ppm or thereabouts, and i've never had a not pink ham that didn't taste right.

here is an article with some sources and info about the curing process - https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-meats-safely/
    but i would agree, limiting sodium nitrite intake is a good idea.

as for the pepperoni, thanks for the tips. i will keep that in mind when i start stuffing my bear into casings too! let us know how yours turns out