Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Global News feature on Trumpeter Swans dying in Abbottsford

Global News feature on Trumpeter Swans dying in Abbottsford

Saw a feature on the news this morning about how many trumpeter swans have been dying from lead poisoning because the swans inhabit one of the Abby lakes out that way that has a very high lead content. The farmers are asking that shot gun shells be made with shot other than lead since the birds are mistaking it for grit. You'd think they'd know that it already has,,,,guess not.

I can't remember when the switch was made but I know it's been a good long time since the regulation came out where steel shot must be used to hunt waterfowl instead of lead shot so I gotta ask. Are there still hunters out there who are trying to use up the rest of their old lead shot shells or are these ponds still being affected with lead poisoning from when lead shot was still being used so long ago?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Global News feature on Trumpeter Swans dying in Abbottsford

Lead shot was banned Canada wide in 1999. Would be interesting to know if this is a yearly die off or the first time in many years.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

From what I read it's a private lake owned by his family.
    But why waste a good opportunity to waste taxpayer money.
    Ed Fast, supposedly a Conservative MP is sponsoring the petition.
    They should perhaps also work on making seat belts mandatory too.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I don’t buy 12 gauge, but I purchased some lead .410” less than 6 months ago. If it’s not banned in 410 I’m assuming you can still buy it in 12 gauge.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Did any of you read the article? It says the problem was greater this year because they did not erect seasonal exclusion fences on the Washington side due to budget cuts. The Washington side has a higher concentration of lead. This is a legacy issue caused by historic lead contamination. I don’t understand the negativity. The man spearheading the petition states he is a hunter. I think it is a good idea to try and restore the lake.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Lead shot was banned for waterfowl hunting in BC in the mid-1980’s. Lead shot is still ok for upland birds and clays shooting.
    Global is anti-gun, anti-hunting. They push that agenda. It wouldn’t take much effort for them to get the facts on this story. Those of us that went to the Parliament buildings in Victoria regarding allocation of LEH for guides and residents will remember Global interviewing the one Sierra Club attendee for the news and barely referenced the crowd or speakers representing hunters.
    Ken (blindman on this site) has done work regarding the swans in this area. Wiser lake area on the USA side is a source of lead that effects the swans. Ken will hopefully add some info to this post.
    I searched for the article, can someone post a link?
    Last edited by Dano; 06-20-2021 at 08:44 AM.
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I don’t buy 12 gauge, but I purchased some lead .410” less than 6 months ago. If it’s not banned in 410 I’m assuming you can still buy it in 12 gauge.
    You can still buy lead shot. It is banned for migratory bird hunting.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Pfft, we all know they died of the covid, they just need to run the PSA test a few more cycles to prove it...
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    Did any of you read the article? It says the problem was greater this year because they did not erect seasonal exclusion fences on the Washington side due to budget cuts. The Washington side has a higher concentration of lead. This is a legacy issue caused by historic lead contamination. I don’t understand the negativity. The man spearheading the petition states he is a hunter. I think it is a good idea to try and restore the lake.
    You don't understand the negativity?
    Really?

It's a private lake.
    If the man starting the petition is a hunter, he was dumping lead into the lake, he owns that lake.
    Which part of private lake is the responsibility of Canadian public?
    So it's on Washington side, so what does that have to do with Canada?

The petition is about banning lead shot and ammunition everywhere, not about restoring the lake.
    Last edited by adriaticum; 06-20-2021 at 09:04 AM.
    1. Human over population

1. Human over population