Thread: Transporting Game Cross Borders

Transporting Game Cross Borders

I'm planning a Wyoming pronghorn hunt. From what I have heard as long as the meat is cut and wrapped it is easy to bring across the border. What about the capes and skulls though? I've heard they have to be spotless. So do those of you have the mount done in that state? Or do you have the tanning done there and have the hide shipped home? How have you gone about it?

2. Site Sponsor

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Re: Transporting Game Cross Borders

Quote Originally Posted by deadlyshot22 View Post
    I'm planning a Wyoming pronghorn hunt. From what I have heard as long as the meat is cut and wrapped it is easy to bring across the border. What about the capes and skulls though? I've heard they have to be spotless. So do those of you have the mount done in that state? Or do you have the tanning done there and have the hide shipped home? How have you gone about it?
    For an American Citizen which has hunted in British Columbia with a duly licensed Outfitter and has all the paperwork and required export Paperwork to prove it, it was until now uncomplicated to take his/her Game Meat frozen or not, packaged or not and properly prepared Hides-Antlers-Horns across a Canadian & US Land Border.

Since you wish to do this the other way around, I would advise as a first step to contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency nearest you to find out what the Canadian Import regulation require. Following that you should also inquire with the US Customs what the export regulation for your specific case may be !

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

We had game cut, wrapped and frozen by a meat cutter in Wyoming. Receipt for services. A cooler and dry ice for trip home. Cape salted by us. Skull and horns in a plastic bag. ATF firearms documents for inspection as well. Checked at the boarder. No issues. year 2014. Tanning and mount done local.

We had it cut and wrapped in 2 days , put in coolers headed home. Borders didn't even care to look at anything on the Canada side . Just asked how much white claw we had lol
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

I’ e brought home quite a few AZ Coues bucks and a CA Tule elk. Meat packed and frozen without bone, skull (antlers) cut, skull boiled clean with all meat, brains and tissue removed. I keep my license(s) in the cab, carcass tag on the antlers, PAL etc very handy. The last few crossings I never even had to go in. They look at the tag, license, ask a few questions and sent me on my way. WY is a Chronic Wasting Disease area though, so may be is different. Antelope aren’t carriers, so no comment on issues with them or not. Good luck, and check it all out ahead of time.