Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3-30 Wolf

3-30 Wolf

Going to a place i've been shed hunting to since I was a boy for 4 days, anybody got any intel on where they spot wolves up around here. I want to try and take a couple.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 3-30 Wolf

I have seen lots of sign but have not eyeballed one for years. I recall seeing a big bull moose high tailing it out of a clear-cut and I couldn't figure out what was going on until I saw 4 wolves chasing it. The deer population seems to be doing good so I think the wolves have moved on, probably followed or chased the moose out of the area. Happened years ago when moose were abundant and deer were shy now it is lots of deer but lucky if you see a moose.

Quote Originally Posted by sames14 View Post
    I have seen lots of sign but have not eyeballed one for years. I recall seeing a big bull moose high tailing it out of a clear-cut and I couldn't figure out what was going on until I saw 4 wolves chasing it. The deer population seems to be doing good so I think the wolves have moved on, probably followed or chased the moose out of the area. Happened years ago when moose were abundant and deer were shy now it is lots of deer but lucky if you see a moose.
    I was up there twice last year, also saw lot's of deer. Found Moose sign. All the years I have been there never laid eyes on a Wolf but they are there, some must follow the Mulie's that winter there i'd think. Hopefully I can take one, or a couple hahah.

What time of year did you see them chasing the Bull?
    Last edited by TheObserver; 04-06-2022 at 09:55 PM.

Was up that way in February trying to track some down after an unsuccessful LEH moose hunt in November (saw lots of moose tracks - all with wolf tracks following them). Crossed the path of a pack along the Chasm Rd in fresh snow. Followed the tracks and counted 10+ sets.

I think I saw the bull and wolves mid October, but as I said that was many years ago. I also saw the biggest bull I have ever seen up that way. Of course it wasn't open but a 1/2 mile North of where I spotted it they were open.

Mount Grant off the Ainsworth road.
    That whole area had moose and wolf sign in the fall last year.
    Saw 4 in there 2 years ago, they were booking it across a grass field.

I used to hunt that area. Been several years since being up that way. last time we were there we got a small buck and filled a doe tag. over the years I noticed a pretty big uptick in the moose population but the last couple of years there we started seeing a lot of wolf tracks.....hunted some other areas for a couple of years then the fire ripped through and we haven't been back...I am tempted to make a detour up there to see how things are coming back maybe this fall....I am imagining that it would be a lot more open there now so more likely to see a wolf but not sure.....Good luck with finding a wolf or two

Quote Originally Posted by Getbent View Post
    Mount Grant off the Ainsworth road.
    That whole area had moose and wolf sign in the fall last year.
    Saw 4 in there 2 years ago, they were booking it across a grass field.
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by dmaxtech View Post
    Was up that way in February trying to track some down after an unsuccessful LEH moose hunt in November (saw lots of moose tracks - all with wolf tracks following them). Crossed the path of a pack along the Chasm Rd in fresh snow. Followed the tracks and counted 10+ sets.
    Brutal man, did you end up catching a glimpse?

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    I used to hunt that area. Been several years since being up that way. last time we were there we got a small buck and filled a doe tag. over the years I noticed a pretty big uptick in the moose population but the last couple of years there we started seeing a lot of wolf tracks.....hunted some other areas for a couple of years then the fire ripped through and we haven't been back...I am tempted to make a detour up there to see how things are coming back maybe this fall....I am imagining that it would be a lot more open there now so more likely to see a wolf but not sure.....Good luck with finding a wolf or two
    The vegetation was pretty insane last year, you should check it out. I never made it up to my high up spot there the roads are so bad in the spring but I will be getting up high there next week to see if the fire burned or if it is still old semi open timber.

Thanks buddy hope I can bring a nice skull/cape home!