Thread: Dog Food Recommendations

Threaded View

Re: Dog Food Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Oh wise one, please tell us more and what you feed your pooch.
    Yup,,,,I was thinking the same thing! Had me really wondering which foods met his approval and which ones didn't. lol

What a lot of dog owners don't understand is there is a large amount of time and money being spent on research when it comes to putting out a high end quality kibble,,,,,and scientific data has proven that just because you spend a lot of money buying a brand of kibble from a veterinarian clinic it doesn't necessarily mean you're getting a good product. A lot of those kibbles bought at those clinics are listed as grain free which has been a major cause of DCM. Most grain free products lack taurine which often leads to death of this enlarged heart disease if not caught early enough.

That's the problem with making your own food at home, too, whether it's cooked or raw because people just don't have a strong enough background/education on canine nutrition. Sure, the dog may look good on the outside but you have no idea what's going on inside the dog. How do you know if you are/aren't adversely affecting your pooch's organs or skeletal structure?

A dog needs more than meat and vegetables in its diet,,,,,even if its all organic! It also needs the right type of fat, various minerals, probiotics, offal (organ meat) and bone meal in order to have a balanced diet. AND it's got to be in the right ratio. Dog food companies know this and have put a lot of research and money into developing their kibbles. In fact, some take as long as a decade before all the trials are done.

Purina is one of those companies! Yes, they put out some cheaper brands that can be bought in just about any corner store in a pinch but their high end Pro Plan kibbles are very well thought out. Hell, Nike does the same thing with their shoes,,,,,you can pay as little as $50 for a pair of runners or $250 for the top end ones. Buying kibble from the same company is the same thing.

If you were to attend any NAVHDA hunt testing event, go to any retriever or versatile training day, talk to any bird dog trainer who runs his own dogs, or visit any reputable bird dog breeder I dare say about 75% of them would tell you they are feeding their dogs/pups one of the PPP options.

I've fed my griff PPP before and she has does well on it but I prefer the Victor High Pro Plus or one of the Inukshuk ratios because I find there's a little less filler in them based on the size of my dog's poops ,,,,,not that the PPP is that bad. On the contrary, it's still very good. The bottom line is you won't hear any complaints from those who feed their dogs with it.

I thought about going raw a few years back but it takes a LOT of research to figure out the proper ratio of all the nutrients a sporting dog needs, plus a lot of your time to make it but I've decided to keep putting my faith in the companies that I know have done all the ground work already. Expense has nothing to do with it! I've put way too much time into my dog to go with food I don't trust.
    Last edited by mastercaster; 06-17-2021 at 01:55 PM.