Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Food Recommendations

Dog Food Recommendations

Ok so the stars have finally aligned, and next week I am taking home a new member of our family, a little pointer puppy. What do you all recommend for dog food? Hard to separate truth from fiction... almost worse than getting into human dietting. With my last dog 15 years ago things seemed simpler

Anyways, any recommendations appreciated...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dog Food Recommendations

Natural balance dog food line is pretty good.

royal canine and raw and everything else under the sun, raw meaty bones too
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

We have a Weimaraner and feed him the purina pro plan 30/20. Loves it!!
    Gold Bond Application Artist

Costco. We were spending a fortune on Eukanuba and other pricey brands when a friend's sister came to visit. She is a post-doc in Vet Medicine and she told me the Costco food was as good as the much more expensive brands. That was 7 years ago and our girls are almost 12 and going strong.

I hear raw food is the best but I didn't want the hassle. Kirkland for 7 years, easy and clean, gets my vote.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

No expert here, but before I got my lab I read what seemed like hundreds of articles on dog food. Like any other product research on the internet, for every good review I found, seemed I found another negative.

In the end, I ignored it all and went with what my breeder (who is a vet) recommended and feeds their dogs. Purina pro plan sport.

She's 3 now has a nice shiny coat, good weight, consistent stool, and tons of energy. I also I hunt her in some pretty nasty weather (Dec/Jan saltwater duck hunts) when it's high demand on her to keep warm and perform and she endures it very well.

My Brother in law feed his GWP costco food of some sort and she is is a machine.

This is what I'm going by with my Drahthaars...

https://petfoodreviewer.com/

Have been using GO (salmon) for both GSP and Lab ,expensive but no issues and dogs are in great shape bowel movements are smaller so must be good

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Costco. We were spending a fortune on Eukanuba and other pricey brands when a friend's sister came to visit. She is a post-doc in Vet Medicine and she told me the Costco food was as good as the much more expensive brands. That was 7 years ago and our girls are almost 12 and going strong.

I hear raw food is the best but I didn't want the hassle. Kirkland for 7 years, easy and clean, gets my vote.

2nd that. Good advice here. It’s pretty good food for the $$. Chicken and rice or the lamb, Kirkland brand is decent food.

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Costco...

I agree with this. Costco lamb and Rice is what we feed our lab. She also gets a fair share of raw trimming from wild game.
    Her 7 litter mates are all long passed, but she is 16 and going strong.
    I wouldn't get cought up in the marketing, pet food is a huge ripoff IMO.