Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Find/Look For the BIG BOARS?

How Do You Find/Look For the BIG BOARS?

Hello all,
    It has become quite routine at this point for me to find and stalk bears. This year I have been as close as 8 yards from a bear that would certainly qualify as a shooter. I have held out to this point, however, because I am in search of my first big boar. I keep thinking if I locate bears, some of them sows with and without cubs that eventually given it is rutting season I will find a big boar. To this point I have seen two big boars. One on a ranch and one off the Coq. The one on the ranch was tending to two sows, but even as I locate and sit on sows (sometimes over a couple of days) I am still waiting to come across a good sized boar. I know they are out there and perhaps I need a new strategy? Two weeks left at this point and the weather is getting hot! Climb to the top now? Rut over?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How Do You Find/Look For the BIG BOARS?

Find a good vantage point with cover and start tweaking a fawn in distress call. Of course lesser bears may show up instead.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Hmm start off with likely locations big bears get that way by living long..that doesn't happen in easy access able areas..
    Start by heading off main rds into back secluded areas..the more secluded the more the bears feel more secure..
    Then they need a food area..small little openings with clear access to sky..=greens..grass..usually be close to water little sign of constant human interruption.
    Then timing..most big bears only show themselves at low light..seldom in AM ..I concentrate on 3 pm and later..but best is last 45 minutes of legal light.
    Of course during the rut BIG bears get first dibs on hot sows..so anytime there is a hot sow..big boars can be possible.
    I am thinking of 10 areas locations that constantly hold big boars..over 6 1/2 feet..300 pounds..very small areas trucks can't access and hunters usually won't walk that far..quiet..always have standing water close by..that's where and why.
    Then give me that last hour..usually 15..30 minutes before dark and then the big boys feel comfortable enough to come out to feed.
    During the rut..big sow drooling..in heat.ya the big boys can be found at any time and some bears that are never seen during non rut timing..
    If your NOT coming out in PITCH BLACK you left too early..missing those big brutes.
    45 years..it works.
    First year meeting Tyler/James. .I suggested such a location..first evening..they missed a 7 footer..the second year T got a 7 footer..
    Sometimes on private property remote alphalpha.fields will pull in big bears due to quality and quantity of feed and no pressuse because of it being private property.
    I have shot a 8 foot black bear in such a location with permission.
    Last 8 footer was in same quality food source. .private property. .I could not get permission..DAMN.lol
    Srupp

Hmm get in to within 75 ..100 yards..watch the wind..some evenings wind is wrong..playes cards at camp or different location.
    Buy a GOOD bee keepers head gear..constant bugs will cause you to swat,,hands are so noticeable when moved.
    Use camo.
    Moving around will disperse your scent..you may be in a great location but movement and scent..you will never see the BIG OLD BOARS..they have scoped out the opening from inside the tree line and if your visible or moving or stinking up the area..it will be a no show for big bears.
    The biggest bears are found by searching for these honey holes..food/water combos remote at dusk.
    Oh yes check your rifle is sighted in WINK.
    Srupp

Or blare a old classic song and drive it like you stole it until you see one on a fsr.

when you are mentioning standing water, are we talking small ponds etc, or much smaller bodies or water, like muddy puddles and small creeks?

I think we all want that one epic story, right? To hike, find a brute, stalk close, pack him out fighting fatigue, mosquitos and terrain. I mean it's a pretty common thing, right? I see it on hunting shows all the time. I love hunting in all honesty and I love finding game. I've done a pretty good job of that because I am not a road hunter, but I haven't been able to find that big boar yet and I thought I might get a tip or two. Srupp of course comes through, but the fsr blaring classic rock was a tip I hadn't heard before!

Quote Originally Posted by ab3 View Post
    when you are mentioning standing water, are we talking small ponds etc, or much smaller bodies or water, like muddy puddles and small creeks?
    Smaller bodies of water puddles standing pools..small creeks..not many lakes have green feed areas next to lakes..think smaller..doesn't take much water..lol or filtration needed..
    I often travel up to 13 kms from camp to various locations..of course I can bump a bear anywhere in route to and from..
    Due to age,injuries,health I use a quad to cover the distance to chosen location.
    TIP. check out Google Earth look for trails..skidder trails look for those remote openings .
    Big bears Usually come in at last light...and big bears tend to hug or be close to tree line edge with feeding areas...usually farthest away from humans trails rds.
    However I know where 3 big grizzlies frequent a main FSR..but being 500 pounds each..they tend to have confidence..size does matter.
    Tip..try reading the suggestions several times then use those ideas based on decades..access Google Earth maps..you will be able to hone your attempts.
    Glad to try and help in your quest.you are welcome to PM me with ideas..Gps locations. .I will check them out..
    Good luck
    Srupp

Those are great suggestions from srupp. He's obviousy an old hand at bear hunting!

Hmm after hunting bears for 45 years hope I learned something..lol
    I can look at a place and these years very quickly tell me a lot..even changes year to year or day to day..it's sometime difficult to try and share everything pertinent. .one takes so much information in looking around and can make changes to plans.
    Only one thing will trump experience..that is hard work..ever notice the luckiest individuals are the hardest working..
    And yes experience..hard work and luck.
    Privilege to try and share and try and help.
    Srupp