Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The heck with covid, I知 goin fishin fer 2 months

Re: The heck with covid, I知 goin fishin fer 2 months

Headed to Nootka lodge mid August then off to WestCoast Resort early Sept, the search for hogs!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Sweet fish killing rig !!

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Headed to Nootka lodge mid August then off to WestCoast Resort early Sept, the search for hogs!
    I've spent hundreds of days fishing Nootka the last 30+ years. If you are looking for a Hawg these days Nootka is not the place. Still lots of fish up to the low 20's but very few are caught over 30 these days and most of the lodges over there don't land one over 40 in a season. A few years back Nootka Marine Adventures only landed a few fish over 30 in all their boats combined and the Conuma hatchery sees very few fish over 30 return each year.

It sucks because I love fishing Nootka but I've seen the best it had to offer in the late 80's through the 90's and its just a poor shadow of its former self...

We're going to try Hardy this year for the 19th-24th of July. At least I'll get a change of scenery over Nootka and better chance to catch a clean fish without having to travel offshore. I've launched there and ran to Rivers a lot but this will actually be my first time fishing around Hardy.

My wife was the nurse in Kyuquot for many years and I built a house on Walters Island. In "normal" years we spend about 4 months there, 1 in the spring and fall and then all summer. I am just packing the boat and truck in preperation to leave Tuesday am. With this heat wave wish that we were out there now!
    If any of you are out that way drop by, last house on walters Is and blue 22 ft.thunderjet.
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    I've spent hundreds of days fishing Nootka the last 30+ years. If you are looking for a Hawg these days Nootka is not the place. Still lots of fish up to the low 20's but very few are caught over 30 these days and most of the lodges over there don't land one over 40 in a season. A few years back Nootka Marine Adventures only landed a few fish over 30 in all their boats combined and the Conuma hatchery sees very few fish over 30 return each year.

It sucks because I love fishing Nootka but I've seen the best it had to offer in the late 80's through the 90's and its just a poor shadow of its former self...

We're going to try Hardy this year for the 19th-24th of July. At least I'll get a change of scenery over Nootka and better chance to catch a clean fish without having to travel offshore. I've launched there and ran to Rivers a lot but this will actually be my first time fishing around Hardy.
    Smaller fish is a consistent theme up and down the coast in the last decade or so. The '80's were the beginning of the end from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by bc8x8 View Post
    My wife was the nurse in Kyuquot for many years and I built a house on Walters Island. In "normal" years we spend about 4 months there, 1 in the spring and fall and then all summer. I am just packing the boat and truck in preperation to leave Tuesday am. With this heat wave wish that we were out there now!
    If any of you are out that way drop by, last house on walters Is and blue 22 ft.thunderjet.
    Ross
    She may have stitched up a buddy a few years ago when he was too busy talking while fileting and gave himself a good slice.

We have also been fishing Nootka consistently since 1981 when we first moved to Tahsis from Alberta. We now live in Campbell River since 1985. When we first moved to Tahsis, we had a tour out at the Conuma hatchery and there was a 76 lb spring swimming around in one of their holding tanks in preparation for spawning. Unfortunately that one got taken out by a bear, so that part of the gene pool went missing. There were lots of big fish back then. They started at 25 lbs, and went up from there. We have had many over 40 pounds in my boat, and one over 50, almost 60 from the Nootka waters. There are more fish (Springs) to be caught now, but unfortunately they are a lot smaller. They now average about 15-20 lbs, with a big one going about 25 or so. Very few over 30, and even fewer over 40. The hatcheries seem to believe in producing a greater number of fish, but unfortunately they are also smaller. Quantity over quality.....Regardless, it’s still a beautiful and fantastic place to go.
    Last edited by Pacemaker; 06-28-2021 at 12:36 PM.

Spot-on Pacemaker.

Im sure we’ve trolled past each other more than once.

Hi Fuzzy, yeah we probably did…. Just got back from my 2nd 5 day trip of the summer a couple of days ago. Fishing was pretty good. Also have the 2nd week of July, plus the 2nd week of August too to look forward to out there. The fish seem to be arriving earlier now than they did way back when….

I was watching Gary Cooper and due to Covid, he has been playing some "old time favorites from the past"
    There was one episode where some of his family members (i believe) were fishing out of the Queen Charlottes (cant remember
    lodge).
    One took a 50 pound spring, and the other i think was a 60. (or was it 40 and a 50??)
    Anyways, those salmon did not get released.
    Just how it was back then.
    Now, you have places like Duncanby who are trying to get their clients to release any Tai class salmon.
    And to take how the smaller 20 pounders.
    Its nice to see that people are getting it and are starting to do it.
    and the best part...feel good doing it!!