Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Smoke and Mirrors from the Feds

Thumbs down More Smoke and Mirrors from the Feds

Obscure Federal Government Announcement of $647M for Salmon Recovery Raises Questions

Not a New Announcement

Interestingly, this is not a new announcement. It was originally covered thoroughly in an April 21, 2021 National Observer story written by Rochelle Baker. In spite of this apparent recycling of news, the Pacific Salmon Strategy Initiative is welcomed based on the general intent to restore salmon stocks that will support fisheries. The minister described it as a “single guiding force” and “a massive undertaking unlike anything before.” However, Minister Jordan’s announcement was short on details regarding how the money will be spent, who will spend it, and who will make those decisions. The announcement was wrapped in words like “cooperation and collaboration”. It also pointed to the creation of a new “arms-length advisory body,” as well as a “new Restoration Center of Expertise,” both undefined, while including an additional $100 million to beef up the BC Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund.

The Bad News

The problem is this: While the announcement said all the right things, it was woefully lacking in details. This concern was clearly expressed by the Sport Fishing Institute’s (SFI) Martin Paish (who is also chairman of the Fisheries Minister’s own Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB)), when he said, “Increased enhancement and linking that to more angling opportunities is good news. But the devil is in the details.

https://islandfishermanmagazine.com/obscure-federal-government-announcement-of-647m-for-salmon-recovery-raises-questions/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: More Smoke and Mirrors from the Feds

The only thing that would make me happy is transfer of all fisheries responsibilities to the province.
    We have more control over them.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

They will find some way to spend half on studies.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Thumbs up Re: More Smoke and Mirrors from the Feds

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

1.pull the nets out.all of them.
    2.restore damaged spawing areas.
    3.kill seals.
    4.kill mergansers where fry and smolts are.
    5.source and fine polouters...the only guy in kamloops that monitors stream works for the city but does it on his time because he cares.

Oh did i mention pull the nets out..

Oh and course fishing derbys where salmon spawn and fry hatch...

And remove fish farms from the ocean......
    Its not that complex we abused a amazing resource...

It's the lack of details that are the most concerning for sure.
    Same can be said with the ongoing study of why there isnt a marked fishery for chinook right now.
    Lots of stuff happening, but without many of the answers some are asking.

If it was good, there would be plenty of reasonable answers.
    And yes, i can see money being pissed away as always.

Clipping of hatchery should be the first thing, hands down, so we can tell who is who and it needs up to 4 years to see that.
    Why the wait, regardless of what restrictions are imposed, now and in the future, we still need to know what is wild and what is
    not.

Seems like such a no brainer.
    But sounds like someone doesn't want to loose their opportunities while others could take from that same pile of salmon.
    Definably a lot going on behind closed doors to be so hush hush for sure.
    That's the worst when we are the ones paying the taxes, their wages and they are supposed to be employed by us.
    Can you imagine the boss asks you questions and you don't reply.
    What would happen then!?

Announcements of federal spending mean nothing. They are a cheap political ploy that we have become used to as the measurement of government performance.

I don't care how much they announce for salmon stock restoration, drinking water on Reserves, job creation, or anything else for that matter. What I want to hear and know is the outcome. How many more fish doe we have; how many more Reserves have new, effective and operational water treatment plants; how many more people are employed in the private sector because of the money spent?

We let governments off too easy when when they do a spending announcement on an area we want to see money spent on.

Instead we should be demanding what output they are going to achieve and then evaluate the output.

Spending announcements are weak and meaningless.

Thumbs up Re: More Smoke and Mirrors from the Feds

Quote Originally Posted by northernguy View Post
    ... I don't care how much they announce for salmon stock restoration, drinking water on Reserves, job creation, or anything else for that matter. What I want to hear and know is the outcome. How many more fish doe we have; how many more Reserves have new, effective and operational water treatment plants; how many more people are employed in the private sector because of the money spent?

We let governments off too easy when when they do a spending announcement on an area we want to see money spent on.

Instead we should be demanding what output they are going to achieve and then evaluate the output.
    Pretty much what Bob Hooton points out in the link I provided above.

And something I rather strongly concur with.

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me