Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: big 'ol bear for a first timer

Re: big 'ol bear for a first timer

Good story. Might have saved a fawn or two putting that yogi down.
    And of course, congratulations on your first bear.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Congrats on the bear! Great one for the HBC contest!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

That is a big bear, congrats!

Congrats on the tank! I walked past that carcass today - I recommend not leaving gut piles and carcasses right beside the trail in plain sight next time.
    Last edited by Fern; 06-08-2021 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern View Post
    Congrats on the tank! I walked past that carcass today - I recommend not leaving gut piles and carcasses right beside the trail in plain sight next time.
    You’re off to a good start, eh boy. The guts and carcass churn your little tummy?
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I think I'll be alright, appreciate you checking in. I am saying it's not the best etiquette to leave that right off a trail - enough people (ie. hikers in that area) already are not educated or friendly to hunting and things like that don't help.

of all the trails, and all the bears, you're certain you found mine?
    mine which was certainly off the trail, not that i care in this spot. had he dropped on the first shot, i would have gutted him there on the trail. and to call it a trail is generous.

i admire you're dedication if you're into dragging 350lb animals uphill and away from the trail more when you're solo hunting...

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Good story! So how did you feel when the bear started charging you after the 1st shot?? Hope you had a clean pair of shorts to change into. lol
    ya it was intense! At that point i was just focused on making sure he stayed down, and quickly. hard to see an animal suffer. A few more steps and I would have been in the oh shit range, but luckily had my rifle on him the whole time. if he didn't turn like he did, i'm sure i'd be changing my britches (after a quick trigger pull!)

it was awesome to see how powerful these bears are, even when hurt. just amazing animals.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    congrats great looking bear looks like some silver or grey hairs mixed in there or just the lighting.
    no grey hairs that i can see on the coat, maybe some speckles on the snout. he has a broken canine too, but that could be from anything. mature for sure. The pictures have a bit of sheen on them from the water, all of the brush was soaked from rain. everything was wet

I think I'll be alright, appreciate you checking in. I am saying it's not the best etiquette to leave that right off a trail - enough people (ie. hikers in that area) already are not educated or friendly to hunting and things like that don't help.
    HAHA poor hikers on crown land having to see some nature up close. shit i'd use some of the hiking trails in the area as good spots and proudly pack down an animal off it.

in fact it would be a great conversation starter with any of the concerned (yourself included). if you can't defend hunting as conservation, and talk about how sustainable a black bear harvest is, the good ethics of it, saving deer, and the food value, then ya, i'd hide my carcass in shame too. why even bother hunting? someone might see you!

let's see your spring bear. if it's bigger than mine, i'll buy you a beer.