Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: My First Big Game (Black Bear)

Re: My First Big Game (Black Bear)

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm everything was impressive..write up of you two adventure shot placement..exellent skinning caping. Ears well turned hide even for good rug.nice your wife joined in and helped
    Enjoyed it
    Congradulations again
    Srupp
    I spent hours watching Youtube and Facebook on how to tanning the hide...... Hours and hours...... there are too many videos, I need to find the one suits my skill the best.

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    Well done,great write up on your first animal. Hope you get a deer this fall.
    I applied LEH for deer......... I think I am more confident in Doe than a 4 point buck........ lol

Quote Originally Posted by JcNemo View Post
    I used to inspect those butcher places, to make sure they do proper segregation between Game animals (for hunter) and domestic animals (for public sell). It is not hard to cut in a well lit room. But it is totally different when cutting from field with only head light and no water. The meat has some hair and leaves on there. The picture shown above is after I washed and trimmed the dirt/hair.
    Oh I know. I've skinned and quartered in all kinds of conditions. I hate it when I shoot a bear at last light, but that's often when you spot one.

I've skinned several by headlight and headlamp on a tarp in the middle of the road after getting the critter up or down to the road. One time it was a 200 yard pull with every rope I had uphill. The rope broke three times and I had to run downhill, find the break, re-attach, pull until it broke again until I finally got the bear up to the road in the pitch dark.
    Last edited by MichelD; 06-07-2021 at 02:45 PM.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Wicked story!! Thanks for sharing!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Congrats on your first animal (bear) and all the work you put into it and taking care of it. Very impressive.
    Maybe you can post a pic of the finished hide.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Congrats on your first animal (bear) and all the work you put into it and taking care of it. Very impressive.
    Maybe you can post a pic of the finished hide.
    I am working on it, should be done by the end of this weekend

Really impressive!
    Great job!

Congrats on your first big game animal, looks like you had a great time.
    Member of the CCFR, but not a "Violent Extremist"

Very impressive job ! Congratulations !
    You must have worked in a very large slaughterhouse to experience those production numbers . I’m thinking somewhere in the Prarie provinces ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Very impressive job ! Congratulations !
    You must have worked in a very large slaughterhouse to experience those production numbers . I’m thinking somewhere in the Prarie provinces ?
    Arctic Lake
    I used to work in Alberta, Cargill in High River, Lake Side packers in Brooks, Maple Leaf in Lethbridge, I’ve been there, I saw things and how it was professionally done. I also been to Ontario Provincial processing plants, and know how the game animals are processed. But, watching is one thing, doing the job is another thing. I only cut one front quarter through shoulder joint. The neck, the leg and the other shoulder I used a saw. I couldn’t find the joint. Lol