Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need some help

Re: I need some help

Quote Originally Posted by GEF View Post
    Crush a few in the butter in the frying pan when you cook your grouse breast and finish the demi glaze with chardonnay and a little flour .Drizzle over the breasts and roasted baby potatoes.Heaven!Seriously Juniper berries and grouse were meant for eachother.

That looks delicious.
    I have to try if I get a grouse.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by elimsprint View Post
    Thanks all, I figured it was juniper but I wanted to check as on the distillers site I use they said there were poisonous trees in the woods that looked the same as juniper. I have never heard of any but thought I would check with one of my main "brain trusts" and that is of course you guys. Arctic Lake, if you're up this way after I get some gin made you are more than welcome to come on up and give it a try. Have you tried Urban Distillers Gin? It's amazing but as I have a bunch of my high test sitting around I thought I would give making gin a try.
    Off the top of my head maybe they are referring to the yew because I know that is poisonous...

Those are green you need the drier blue ones.

Crush a few in the butter in the frying pan when you cook your grouse breast and finish the demi glaze with chardonnay and a little flour .Drizzle over the breasts and roasted baby potatoes.Heaven!Seriously Juniper berries and grouse were meant for eachother.
    Looks delicious, what time of year did you harvest the berries? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    Those are green you need the drier blue ones.
    They looked quite blue when I walked past the bush at 5:30 this morning, lol. I'm going to try a small batch of gin with these and wait for them to ripen up before I try a bigger batch. At least I know they are juniper so I will just keep an eye on them now. I saw 3 nice whitey bucks about 5 minutes before I came up to the juniper so I'm sure I'll be close to there in the fall

That looks really good but I see so few grouse lately that I just don't have the heart to shoot them. I honestly see way more elk than I do grouse, what's the world coming to????

Can do the same with Cypress Berries/seeds, just a little bit more pungent,
    nothing that a little gin won't fix,
    Rickady

Yew berries are red.

Years ago, after reading the sourdoughs started their starter using yew berries.
    I collected a number one fall and had a great starter for a few years.
    My bread was not true sourdough as Instant yeast was also used but it did impart a nice flavor.

The first 2 jars of gin are aging. The first is Odins easy gin which is just juniper, coriander and orange peel (I couldn't find a tangerine) and the second has cardamom, angelica root, and a couple of peppercorns added. These are really the second and third attempts as the first one with the green berries was terrible, even I couldn't drink it These were both done with in the boiler maceration and don't seem to have a really strong gin smell, it's there but not in your face like I want. The next one is going to have a week or 2 of maceration before it hits the boiler. I found the mother of all juniper bushes, it probably has 100# of berries on it, so I have enough berries for this years gin making, lol.

Did you taste test the berries?
    I heard they are best after a frost

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83286
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole