Thread: Legality of hunting on BC rec sites?

Legality of hunting on BC rec sites?

Trying to find a clear answer about whether or not I can hunt in the Bear Creek rec site in West Kelowna. I'm talking about the entire yellow area on the iHunter app ( REC31768 ). Obviously not near any of the designated campgrounds or main roads.

Can't seem to find specific info, but I've seen others hunting up there before. Is it legal?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Legality of hunting on BC rec sites?

Honestly i don’t know answer to your question. However if you feel it may be scetchy it probably is.

Page 11 of your BC hunting regulations

• Unless authorized by a recreation officer;
      it is unlawful to trap or discharge a firearm, bow or crossbow on or into:
      oThe developed portion of a Recreation Site or Interpretive Forest.
      oThe “developed portion”, refers to that area that extends 100m in all directions from a structure, day use area, camping area, trail staging area or similar area.
      o Any portion of a Recreation Trail
      where a prohibition has been posted

I would just not
    Last edited by warnniklz; 05-31-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Here's a reference screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/5putXLT.png

That entire yellow area is considered Bear Creek rec site.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Page 11 of your BC hunting regulations

• Unless authorized by a recreation officer;
      it is unlawful to trap or discharge a firearm, bow or crossbow on or into:
      oThe developed portion of a Recreation Site or Interpretive Forest.
      oThe “developed portion”, refers to that area that extends 100m in all directions from a structure, day use area, camping area, trail staging area or similar area.
      o Any portion of a Recreation Trail
      where a prohibition has been posted

I would just not
    Ah, so "developed portion" is they key terminology here. I'm talking waaaay up the FSR past designated camp sites or amenities of any kind. The Bear Creek rec site is a BIG area according to iHunter, with lots of subdivisions within it being Crown Land, which is why I ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail1 View Post
    Honestly i don’t know answer to your question. However if you feel it may be scetchy it probably is.
    It's not that it feels sketchy. The designated camping and ATV areas are only a small portion of the total land, it's a very big area. I just don't want to get in hot water with a C.O. over a technicality even if I'm hunting many kilometers away from anyone else. Would never dream of shooting a gun anywhere near a busy campsite or day use area.

Quote Originally Posted by Username48 View Post
    Here's a reference screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/5putXLT.png

That entire yellow area is considered Bear Creek rec site.

Ah, so "developed portion" is they key terminology here. I'm talking waaaay up the FSR past designated camp sites or amenities of any kind. The Bear Creek rec site is a BIG area according to iHunter, with lots of subdivisions within it being Crown Land, which is why I ask.

It's not that it feels sketchy. The designated camping and ATV areas are only a small portion of the total land, it's a very big area. I just don't want to get in hot water with a C.O. over a technicality even if I'm hunting many kilometers away from anyone else. Would never dream of shooting a gun anywhere near a busy campsite or day use area.
    From what you describe you're good to go