Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LEH Draw results

Re: LEH Draw results

Quote Originally Posted by 4 point View Post
    I think one had better win a lotto draw before some of us will ever win a LEH tag!
    Some people have horrible luck...

me and my partner have been hunting since fall 2017 and have had 4 LEH including two bull moose tags last year... guess we won’t get anything else ever again so I should quit applying lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4 point View Post
    I think one had better win a lotto draw before some of us will ever win a LEH tag!
    I can't complain really. I've had three moose draws though I never did get a moose on those trips.

I've had a mountain goat LEH, a mountain sheep, several mule deer doe draws and three Vancouver Island Roosevelt elk draws. Got two of the elk (a 6x7 bull and a cow) and skunked on the third one.

Ive actually figured out the system. If there is access into the area...NO TAGS,,,if there is game in the area...NO TAGS
    if there is no game in the area...MANY TAGS if there is no access into the area...MANY TAGS
    Thus it explains while the Griz hunt was on, the Tumbler area was polluted with bears, you could see 5 a day from your truck,,,ONE TAG PER YEAR

Dads life advice. “Don’t expect anything and you will never be disappointed.”
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I’ve been drawn twice in the 8 years I’ve been hunting. Shared moose hunt and an island Rosie hunt

I believe it has something to do with the size of your "donation" that determines if you get a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Dads life advice. “Don’t expect anything and you will never be disappointed.”
    Yup, live my life like that.
    Have to say though, it can make things a little slow at times

If I get any of the extremely unlikely draws I put in for I guess hunting is #1 this fall.
    My guess is June 28, 15:30 Pacific time.

I've got to feel for you guys. I miss hunting in BC but the draw system is so much better here in Alberta.

I know that this year I can pull a bull moose draw tag in my area if I choose to. Early season is a gimme. I've been buying late-season undersubscribed bull moose tags for 4 years and just letting my priority build. Most years I can find a bull in the late season if I'm not picky. I might do that again this year because a good buddy can pull his draw tag this year and he's never shot a bull moose. I'm a priority 7 for bull elk which also gives me a lot of good management units that I could pull a draw tag in if I wanted. There are also open areas for 3-point or 5-point and better bulls. Cow elk can be had every couple years on draw and you can get a late-season undersubscribed tag every year. Tough hunt at -25 some years though. Rifle Muleys in the area I like to hunt is a draw every 2 or 3 years right now, with open bow season the years in between. So I can hunt them with a reasonable chance at getting a good buck every year. Antlered Whitetails are over the counter tag and the antlerless supplemental OTC tags you can take 2 each year up where I'm at. Black Bears are everywhere if a guy wanted to hunt them. I don't since moving here. Most sheep draws are lottery but there are a few priority ones too. Some areas are OTC tags. Goats are draw but I did enough goat hunting when I grew up in BC. Cats are OTC and wolves are open.

Don't get me wrong, there is still some great OTC hunting in BC and I do miss it. I just like the priority system here much better and its nice to know that if I wanted to plan a early season bull moose hunt this year an hour from home I will have a tag. I really don't miss putting my donation in for a Rosie draw each year to get SFA year over year then see dozens of great bulls while out hunting Blacktails.

I would disagree with alberta being better than BC draws. I guess it helps to know that you wont be getting that moose draw for another 17 years unless you drive up north, where in bc that far north is over the counter for trophy bulls. Once in a lifetime goat draws....great! No stones, no rosies, no blacktails, no sitka blacktails, no dalls, Black bears in bc on a regular day of hunting is about the same either province, great bears all across Canada. Wait years for a mule deer draw, no thanks. I'm glad you can buy otc whitetailed deer, but so can BC. Bottom line is there is way more hunting opportunity in BC, hands down, and if a guy is ambitious enough to drive for a few hours, you can hunt otc goat, rocky mountain elk, moose, sheep, whitetail, blacktail, sitka blacktail (15), mule deer, cougar, lynx, bear, wolverine, bobcat, wolf, coyote, fox, stone sheep, caribou, big horn, california big horn, turkey, etc. and we have a LEH for dalls, roosevelt elk and bison. The only thing we are lacking that Alberta has are speed goats. and even that takes near 10 years to draw over there. I think I will take my chances hunting over here, but hey, at least you can plan your hunt coming up 7 yrs down the road!