Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: LEH Draw results

Re: LEH Draw results

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    YOu think it would be different with points? On vancouver island the lowest odds for a bull draw that I can see are 31 to 1. That means if you started now, you would have to put in for 31 years to get the draw with a points system. Most likely if this were in alberta it would be a true draw anyway. I do hope you put in again this year. It's your turn!
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding but the way I read it is 1 out of every 31 is drawn?

There is no perfect system but the better systems I think are those like UT. 75% of the tags go to preference points, the ones with the most points get the tags. There is still significant point creep however, which is inevitable in any points system. But if you've done your time you are near the front of the line. Then 25% of the tags are put in a random draw. This makes sense to me. Everyone at the end of the day at least has a "chance".
    Personally I dont mind BC, it's like ID. Lottery, everyone has the same odds. But ID does do a points system for the big 3 (moose, sheep, goat).

Something BC very much could do is
    A) increase the cost for application of certain tags, it's amazing what $10 will do
    B) They could make it so you have to buy the tag to apply, similar to A the additional cost will steer people away. Unfortunately this makes hunting a "rich man's" sport, and can put non-typical pressure to OTC units.

At the end of the day there isnt a perfect system and they all have there flaws. Depending on your views some more than others.

BC to me is like the company christmas party, there is always that one dude for whatever reason gets his ticket pulled every year. Everybody hates that guy.

It's incredible that in BC, you can go hunt every game species in the LEH via OTC. That is unheard of in the lower 48. I'd be taking advantage of this as much as I could while it last.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    You are right. In that particular draw zone, there are 2 tags. We can assume that 62 people put in so your odds are 31 to one. It takes 31 years for all 62 people ahead of you to use their points if they let 2 tags a year out. Really sucks when you think about it. Looks like the popular zones and times are around 200 to one, so 10 generations down the road could use your priority?? That is why they would be a true draw regardless of being in alberta or BC What really sucks is someone that has more priority than you that was putting in for another zone can transfer to whatever their first choice is, making it an even longer wait..

Quote Originally Posted by tater View Post
    A pure lottery system is the most fair. Everyone has the exact same chance of drawing. Those of you that look at odds and go "Oh, 5:1 means i should get drawn every five years if i keep putting in" don't understand stats.
    Do you 6-49 purchasers complain about the unicorns that have won more than once? They got lucky. Just like the LEH.

States that run points based systems are running into massive issues. Guys that have spent 30 plus years PAYING FOR POINTS realizing that they are unlikely to draw in their lifetimes. Points systems will guarantee that many draws will be once in a lifetime tags due to point creep and trying to rebuild preference points.
    Do some homework on other jurisdictions and be careful what you wish for.

Besides, we live in a place where you can hunt every species (yes,i know not necessarily every sub-species) on a general tag. There are folks in the world who are beyond envious of our OTC opportunities.
    Our OTC cupcake is huge. LEH is just sprinkles on the icing.
    Speaking of which....
    https://canoe.com/news/provincial/tr...9-b426d2f44f1a

Originally Posted by HuevosYOu think it would be different with points? On vancouver island the lowest odds for a bull draw that I can see are 31 to 1. That means if you started now, you would have to put in for 31 years to get the draw with a points system. Most likely if this were in alberta it would be a true draw anyway. I do hope you put in again this year. It's your turn!

Thats correct. 31 people enter for every 1 tag given out. in this group of 31 hunters, under a priority system, only one of them per year will get the one tag....so you are only guaranteed the draw every 31 years.

For some of our high odds hunts 100:1+ only the people who get in first if we ever switched, will ever even get a chance to go after the tag. if you are 75th in line for a tag that gives out one per year....what are the chances you'll be alive when you rack up enough priority??

Priority systems can work when you have odds under lets say 10:1, at that point its just an organizational technique to make sure the tags are distributed fairly, not really even a draw.

but we have so many higher odds draws in B.C., im 48 yrs old....not sure it makes sense starting to build points on a 30:1 tag. i'd likely be dead, or too old by the time I ever got drawn.
    Our system isn't perfect for sure, but every year, EVERYONE entered has a shot!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    Yep I liken it to waiting in line at Walmart. You know you're gonna get there just a matter of time as to when. The only change our system required is proof of residency should be stricter. I think this might reduce draw wait times. Probably not substantial but who knows.
    The problem with that analogy is that there are draws in Alberta and other jurisdictions where unless you got in line at Walmart on Day 1, you'll be waiting over 200+ years to get 'served' waiting in line with "priority" lol. Thats part of the broken system.

I remember reading a post on a US site where they were talking draws for sheep. One guy in his early 40's did the math and figured out he would not draw a tag in his lifetime so he started appying for his son, so hopefully he could at least see a ram up close before he was dead.

The point system is some what good if you get in on day one. The guy I talked about above said there were something like 50 people with the max 15 points. 46 people had like 14 points. Another 40 people had 13 points and so on and so on. They gave out like three tags or something in that state. Imagine a young kid starting hunting on his thirteenth birthday and dad says "hey lets start appying for sheep, when you turn 28 you will have max points then it should only be another 10 years or so before you get a tag. Not too many kids will stay hunting.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Date June 10th
    I just looked (again) and the draw STILL has not take place.
    I knew I should have sent along a BitCoin to increase my odds.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

Well I'm actually injured this year so I guess that means that I'll probably get all my draws...
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

I see the gooberment site will be down Sunday night until 11 am on monday