Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remember your first big game shot?

Re: Remember your first big game shot?

Hmmm yes decades and decades and decades ago.Dad worked hard but large familly times were always tough..always.
    Kraft dinner and wieners..
    Identical brother Gerald and I took his Mazda 808 and hit the woods to try and help.shot a massive moose and needed to go get Dads Ford pickup
    Filled the freezer with tender delicious moose meat ..great memories..
    Thanks for letting me remember.
    Oh ya Gerald took the shot I just grinned
    Steven

11 years old hunting with my dad. We'd walked a clear cut in the morning and saw a couple of does. We were driving to another spot when a 2pt blacktail stood up on a small bluff above the road at 30 yards, we stopped, I got out and loaded the 270, put the crosshairs on his neck and squeezed the trigger. Down he went. My dad jumped out of the truck cheering. We walked up to the deer dad looks at me and says "you blew his leg off" and I'm like "no I didn't, there's my bullet hole in his neck". Upon closer examination the deer was indeed missing one of his front legs. The bone protruded out below the shoulder and was bleached white. The wound was completely healed. Everything below the knee was gone. Presumably another hunter had shot him earlier in the season or maybe even the year before and he got away only to meet up with me and become my first deer.
    Member of the CCFR, but not a "Violent Extremist"

It's a pretty lame story.
    October, 2017, about 10am.
    Was going duck hunting with a couple guys a few years ago. Had my deer rifle too, because well, they're in season too. Driving to the first pond, I spot a deer, call it out. Truck stops, I glass the deer. Two point mule buck! In the grass beside it, a second two point buck! Bail out, grab the gun and load a couple rounds, a Sako AV 270 winchester. About 70 yards, boom, deer goes down. Buddy starts unscrewing the duck Choke from his shotgun, running after the second buck, and drops it with buckshot. Turns out I spined my deer, and so I delivered a coup de grace. None of us had ever dressed an animal, so that was a flustercluck, but we got it done. Had the deer at the butcher a couple hours later, and if memory serves right, we went back out and bagged a few ducks later that day.

8 years old in 1980 on the Island. Buddy and I were shooting our pellet guns out in the bush a few miles from home when a cougar walked out 20 feet from us and turned sideways. Up came the old .22 cal break-open pellet gun and I plugged that sucker right behind the shoulder. It jumped straight up in the air and then high-tailed it out of there like it was on fire. It was almost as fast as my buddy was running in the opposite direction.

Was out moose hunting on a lake in region 6 saw a cow calf on the shore and decided to try to circle in behind them and call while still hunting through the timber, 30 min into my first day the branches start shaking big bull moose charges in to 10 yards no time for thinking just shoot. It was a crazy experience. Not something someone could forget.

1979 hunting with my dad, spike buck at what I thought was 200 yards, but dad said was a 100. He told me to put my 20 gauge and slugs down and use his 270. Boom ran 20' and piled up. Had liver, onions and potatoes for dinner at camp with my dad, uncles and both grandpa's. Excellent memories.

White tail buck using grampa's 760 30-06 (1970) alberta, wasn't the cleanest kill...poor old buck deserved a better demise than that.

Bowen Island, Deer hunting with a long bow and wooden arrows. Walking back to the truck after a day of hunting all flustered and discouraged at the top of the mountain there. Walked right past a beded Doe. Took a few paces past the doe nocked an arrow turned got set and shot. It wasn't a great hit and the deer ran clear down to the bottom of the mountain there. Tracked the deer into a pile of slash where the doe expired. I know how much they love hunters over there so went into the pub washed the blood off had a beer and got off the island. 59lbs on the hook at Ennis meats. We all start somewhere.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Hmmm, Calf moose for me. Walked along the edge of a grain field, spotted a cow moose, with a calf. Loaded the ole 300 win mag, dropped the crosshairs on the head of the calf and BOOM, BOOM!!! I shot, at the same time my buddy shot! looked up, a cow and a calf ran away??? WTH??? My buddy went looking for blood, and I was pretty certain I saw a moose drop? Sure as $hit I hollered at my buddy, "Moose right here"!!! It did drop in its tracks!! First animal I field dressed by myself too! A couple of guys showed up as we were dragging the moose out whole, they helped us throw it in the back of the truck, and now to this day, I have no money, because I spend it all on guns, ammo, and hunting $hit, THE END!!??, or was it the beginning?? Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

My first big game kill happened when I was a young boy, and was with a rimfire so we wont bring that up! I vividly remember my first big buck though! It was my first hunt to the alpine lookin for anything better than a 2 point muley. I was hungover bad because thats what young men do when on an adventure. It was 1pm and very hot when I hit tree line on the beautiful alpine mountain on sept 1st. I took in the sights of the shulaps range and finished off my small canteen of water. I stood up and turned to look up the steep mountain. There bedded 100 yards above me was an incredible non typical velvet buck. That was the day I learned what buck fever was! I convulsed and shook horribly as I tried to steady myself against a small sun alpine spruce. I couldnt get it together and the buck finally bolted from his bed! Reflex took over and I swung on the buck emptying all 5 rounds out of the mini 14s magazine. I dropped the clip and slammed home a spare as the buck cartwheeled to a stop! It was an incredible moment I will never forget. It was then when I noticed an even larger typical 4 point 200 yards away. I stared in awe as he moved away over the mountain. As I was new to this alpine thing I had no backpack! Only my youth helped me drag that buck, the heaviest I have ever taken, off that mountain. That gorgeous 5x7 buck had me hooked and I have been mountain hunting ever since that day almost 40 years ago.