Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember your first big game shot?

Re: Remember your first big game shot?

First shot ever at a big game animal, 59 inch Yukon moose. Put two an inch apart through his lungs and all he did was shake and stare at us. A few more and i was standing over a mountain of dead critter.

I don't know if you're buddy realizes 4 point muley's don't exactly grow on trees around here! He'll soon regret that decision I imagine as it may be years before he see's another haha.

My first shot and first big game animal was a spike moose, 115 yards - 7MM Mag. Felt like I won the lottery! It was a grind getting him out though, that was before I knew enough to quarter the sucker! That was many years ago of course, but still remember the exhilaration and then total respect for the animal....no ounce of meat was wasted I can tell you that.

Some days I can’t remember what I put on my toast for breakfast... but I certainly remember my first big game animal. Standing point on opening morning of Saskatchewan whitetail season . I was at a pinch point and literally watched a very decent buck scream by me in road gear . Never even raised the rifle . Seconds later a spiker runs out and pauses long enough to look at the strange looking orange teletubby trying to keep the cross hairs from shaking so bad . The Remington 760 in .270 did its job . 42 years ago
    No animals were hurt in the making of this video...just cooked up good and tasty !

My first big game shot was black bear in region 3, circa 2014. It felt so good; memory is super fresh that I could recall every second before and after I pulled the trigger. It's like the day you lost your V-card, always unforgettable regardless of it's good or bad (and of course, good is better than bad lol).
    Too many hobbies, too little time.

First and only. Got a moose while hunting with my two buddies. Guy in the lead spots two moose in a meadow and motions me up with him. As I get to him he drops to a knee and is fussing with his rifle - trying to fix a jam. I get the scope on the bull and keep asking my buddy "Do I shoot him?"... didn't want to take "his" moose. It starts to walk away so I aim for its shoulder with my 6.5CM and drop him. Such an amazing feeling after hunting for mule deer for 5 years without ever pulling the trigger.
    forever noob

These are some incredible stories. I appreciate each of you for sharing. I try to visualize that first shot because I don't want to do what my buddy did. Honestly, I think he froze. The more that I'm in the bush, the more pieces I learn to go over and over. I feel I'm right with you on your first shots. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    I didn't start until i was 40! It's never too late to get hunting. My first mulie was with my buddy. We saw the buck and it took off then stopped. I could see it but my buddy couldn't. I was hunting with my old lever gun so he handed me his 30-06. I put it right on the bucks head and blam! I popped my hunting cherry. I borrowed another guys 270 and killed a doe that same year. Don't give up or get too frustrated RaineyLaker! Time in the bush, going slow and good mentors are the key. Here is a link to my first year. Maybe you can get some motivation from it.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...-the-hat-trick
    I love being in the bush, trying to learn the lay of the land and how every thing moves through it. How cool is it to find a bed, scat, or any kind of sign. To feel the wind and wonder what it's doing at the end of the cut block. Kind of wish I had known to just stick with a career in fisheries biology or c.o. Takes patience and knowing it's possible btw. Too far from retirement and not enough holiday time to spend what I'd prefer to spend out there. Seems it's harder these days to be a hobo.

Blacktail fork horn Sechelt 1958 with Gramps' 25-20
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

R5 Doe draw. Missed a buck that morning so was pretty upset. Ended up bumping a beautiful heathly Doe at less than 20 yards. Shot her clean through both lungs and found her piled up less than 30 yards away. Older gentlemen I was with guided me through the field dressing process and off to camp to hang. I remember walking up on my first dead animal and not knowing how to feel. A bit excited but a bit remorseful.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

About 15 years ago, first time ever hunting, maybe 10 minutes from the cabin. Neighbour took me out in his Samurai and we cruised around on a beautiful sunny day for a few hours, didn't see a thing so we figured we'd head home.
    Come a round a corner, there's 3 does and a small buck just off the trail. I jump out, fumble a few rounds into the 30-06, cycle the bolt and go prone to get a good shot. Take my time, line it up but a doe kept getting in the way, finally, clear shot, pull trigger "CLICK." Forgot to make sure there was a round chambered. Buck wanders off a few 100 ft. Follow it, line up another shot "Bang". Missed.
    Buck wanders off again a few 100 ft. line up a shot, "Bang." Deer drops.
    We walk over to a little depression in the ground where the deer dropped, no deer, no blood, no nothing, deer must have tripped just when I shot.
    I'm really pissed, my Buddy is pissing himself laughing so hard. Spot the damn deer, line him up, Buddy is laughing "Common, just shoot the damn thing."
    "Bang Flop" and it's down.
    Pretty stunned ( me that is ) , we dragged it to his Samurai and off we went to the cabin where we hung and prepped it.
    So, of course getting a deer first time, minutes from the cabin on a sunny day, I figure this hunting thing is pretty easy.
    Nope, found out over the years that it's a lot harder than that.

Yep, 14 years ago with my old man. 14 years old. Hit Highway 24 at 4:45am. Blaze of Glory by Bon Jovi playing until we hit the FSR. Not 50 yards in the first slash we turned into, Muley spike on my right. Hopped out, aimed, shot high, put one through it's spine. It didn't take another step. That was the first time in my life my old man gave me a hug haha. He was a proud dad. Can't wait to see my little guy do the same in 10 years.