Thread: Anchor line question

Anchor line question

I have an anchor line question for the experienced boatpeoplekind.......

On lakes I run my 1/2" nylon anchor line through a Scotty anchor mount on the bow cap. It's sort of auto locking and easy to use solo. The rode consists of 15' of chain and 100' of 1/2" nylon anchor line.

However on the river I will be using my 30 lb river anchor plus a 12" float and an anchor puller. I'd like a system where I can release the entire anchor rode easily and quickly when I am solo.

If I bypass the Scotty mount and release the anchor, float and puller over my bow rail, once I am done releasing the anchor rode, can I just tie the anchor line to my bow rail with a quick release knot like a painter hitch? ie. is the painter hitch an appropriate knot for this situation?

The rest of the rode will be in a line bag with a float, not attached to the boat so if i need to release it I can just release the painter hitch, throw the rest of the anchor rode, bag and float over the rail and go.

Then come back for it later.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anchor line question

You could try a chain knot. We used them lots when commercial fishing on our beach lines. They work great and will never jam in your application. Will take a bit of practice but worth it.

When it comes to Ocean or river, most guys run an anchor to a Scotsman.
    Have a rope that is clipped to the side/s of your boat.
    From that rope, run another rope, say 50ft (on big rings or carabiners on both ends of this rope) to the Scotsman.

If you have an emergency, you can unclip or cut rope to boat or that is attached to boat.

Also, many folks run chain to anchor, but attach it to the end side (anchoring hook side) of anchor.
    Then attach with x-amount lbs cord the chain again to where you would normally attach anchors.
    That way the anchor seems to act normally, but if it gets stuck, you just start driving away and the low pound cord braks and then
    anchor comes off the bottom backwards.

Hard to explain, but lots of images or video should be out there on youtube.

Sport FishingBC website has an excellent but lengthy thread about how to safely and efficiently anchor under various conditions. Suggest that you peruse that site... Good luck with your boating endeavours....

Super good question, I heard a boat got flipped in the Fraser recently when drifting freshet debris hit his anchor line..one guy didn't make it...same stories for guys hali fishing anchored up. Theres too much info out there for this to happen to a pro active outdoorsman..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    Super good question, I heard a boat got flipped in the Fraser recently when drifting freshet debris hit his anchor line..one guy didn't make it...same stories for guys hali fishing anchored up. Theres too much info out there for this to happen to a pro active outdoorsman..
    Yes, a 14' jon boat and they weren't wearing their pfds. It's very sad for his fiance and family and friends.

I've been out once in my 14' deep V in the early days of the search. May go again this Friday if I can get off work early. I'll bring my drone like the last time.

I am new to the Fraser so I am being very careful, especially since I am solo. No anchoring for the time being until I learn the river better and the damn freshet has subsided.

Yes, it was sad to hear that news.
    No idea how they were anchored, but my understanding is they were anchored.

Lots of guides on the ocean doing halibut fishing anchor in a similar way i mentioned.
    Should be tons of info on that.
    Just check several sites and see that they are describing the similar set up to each other.
    Guides set up this way exactly for this reason and safety should the weather turn or some other incident require a quick release
    of the boat from the anchor and with out losing the anchor and thus retrievable.
    Also, some folks fighting sturgeon need to quick release from anchor to float down river with the sturgeon they are fighting.
    Afterwards, just motor back up to Scotsman and re-anchor.