Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Ole Copper vs. Lead Debate

Re: The Ole Copper vs. Lead Debate

Anyone that has shot one will agree that the Mountain Goat is one of BC's toughest critters. My 1st goat was taken with a 330 Dakota driving a 225 TTSX @ 2950 fps. The shot was 295 yards, and the bullet opened perfectly and exited leaving a football sized exit. Goat went down like a rock, then got up and ran 40 yards and died,,bullet worked great, goats are tough

Been using 165 AB's in tikka with great results. Bought new s/s tikka and it HATES them, terrible groups. Then switched to ttsx 168's and back to sub moa. Will see this fall on how they open on animal.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    So since I started shooting my Tikka T3x 30-06, I have been using Sako’s Super Hammerhead 180 gr. (a bonded soft point). The only reason I started on the Super Hammerhead was because I was told that factory load ammunition from Sako are what are tested in Tikka firearms.

Now, I am no ballistics expert and don’t purport to be, but I find that the Super Hammerhead 180 gr. bullet drop is quite significant past 200 yards (9.6 inch drop at 300 yards with a 200 Zero). Also I realize that the bullet drop is more significant because I am using a 180 gr. bullet, so maybe that is a moot point. Furthermore, I find it increasingly hard to get a hold of these bullets (mind you I know this is a general trend for all ammunition nowadays).

I have been looking at some other bullets, such as the Nosler Trophy Grade and Accubond as well as doing some research on copper bullets such as the Barnes TTSX and Hornady GMX. My question is what other people’s experiences are between lead vs. copper bullets. At the end of the day, I care about dropping an animal as quick as possible with maximum penetration, with less of a bullet drop a bonus (I'm not usually shooting big game past 300 yards anyways). Obviously I understand that there a ton of mitigating factors, but I was just wondering what people’s experiences with different factory loads are etc. Maybe it’s best to move-down bullet grain? Move to a copper bullet? A combination of both?

Let's hear what you are shooting, and what's your experience with such ammunition.
    Some of the best bullets for you to consider are Nosler Partition, Federal Terminal Accent, Barnes Lrx, and Nosler Accubond in weights anywhere between 150 gr. to 180 gr.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

Truth is, the average hunter likely won't notice - most animals in BC are taken 200 yards or less due to terrain and other obvious reasons. Unless your shooting long range, as long as your choosing the right grain for the game it really won't matter - the rest is just sales tactics to get you to buy premium ammo to shoot your buck at 100 yards lol. You can buy the most expensive premium ammo, it won't increase your odds of tagging out, it also won't make you a better, more accurate shooter or hunter. Too many guys I know spend more time researching and spending money on the the best ammo available then ACTUALLY SHOOTING THIER GUN and improving their accuracy. Putting the cart before the horse - 90% of is the guy or gal pulling the trigger - quality ammo does play a factor don't get me wrong..but not as much as shooting as much as you can, being comfortable with your gun and actually shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Codes44 View Post
    Truth is, the average hunter likely won't notice - most animals in BC are taken 200 yards or less due to terrain and other obvious reasons. Unless your shooting long range, as long as your choosing the right grain for the game it really won't matter - the rest is just sales tactics to get you to buy premium ammo to shoot your buck at 100 yards lol. You can buy the most expensive premium ammo, it won't increase your odds of tagging out, it also won't make you a better, more accurate shooter or hunter. Too many guys I know spend more time researching and spending money on the the best ammo available then ACTUALLY SHOOTING THIER GUN and improving their accuracy. Putting the cart before the horse - 90% of is the guy or gal pulling the trigger - quality ammo does play a factor don't get me wrong..but not as much as shooting as much as you can, being comfortable with your gun and actually shooting.
    you’re not wrong. I don’t have time to shoot nearly as much as I used to and my reloading gear still hasn’t been unpacked from our last move so I have a box of Remington core lokt in my safe at the moment!

do your homework and you will end up shooting 165 gr. in any bullet make! I have years of experience with same and espite the techies who would argue that their shit doesnt stink, there is no better load for the '06!

Bullshit begets bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by JAGRMEISTER View Post
    do your homework and you will end up shooting 165 gr. in any bullet make! I have years of experience with same and espite the techies who would argue that their shit doesnt stink, there is no better load for the '06!
    Be interested to hear your reasoning here!

Quote Originally Posted by Tred View Post

May be side tracked a bit, but I like Ron Spommer's video talking about Mono, Cup and Core, and Bond think he does a fair impartial review of the different types of bullet technology and shows off some of his recovered bullet collection. Check it out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We6OM03wSEI
    Thanks for posting this. I found the video very informative.

I only hunt with my 168 Barnes TSX reloads in my 3006. They are a little hotter than factory loads but not excessively. Always had exceptional results with the bullets, big exit wounds and bang-flops. Been using them for most of a decade now, same load the whole time. About 1.5 MOA at 100 yards.

I'm tempted to try the TTSX, but I have the feeling it's pretty much the same, so why bother.