Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle storage while camping

Re: Rifle storage while camping

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I know you’re a younger guy, but that does NOT sound comfortable!
    Lol it's not "too" bad. My wife and I are small people and can pretty much curl up in a fetal position on the flat part of the seat. Only trouble is can't fully stretch out the legs, even with support on the floor, knees are still slightly bent. Occasionally I will wake up with quite a bit of knee pain which is a bad way to start the day. I think it aggravates the sciatic nerve which cases the knee pain.

We still do it 70-90 nights a year, but a good 4x4 van (like a E250 body dropped on a F250 4x4 drivetrain with a bit of a lift is our dream lol

Good god.........

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Lol it's not "too" bad. My wife and I are small people and can pretty much curl up in a fetal position on the flat part of the seat. Only trouble is can't fully stretch out the legs, even with support on the floor, knees are still slightly bent. Occasionally I will wake up with quite a bit of knee pain which is a bad way to start the day. I think it aggravates the sciatic nerve which cases the knee pain.

We still do it 70-90 nights a year, but a good 4x4 van (like a E250 body dropped on a F250 4x4 drivetrain with a bit of a lift is our dream lol
    I'm impressed but I don't know how you can do it. I have had short naps in the passenger seat if I am on a really really long drive and find myself nodding off, then I will pull off and fold the seat back for a nap, but to actually sleep like that on a hunting trip? Not a chance.

Before I had trucks I had station wagons. I have to be able to stretch out flat and it can be hard as heck, that doesn't bother me and I sleep well. Since 1992 I've always had a pickup with a canopy. My wife used to come with me but at our age and with back issues (both 68 next week) she says she's done with sleeping in the "cramper."

During the day, it's either in hand, on my shoulder, or in arms reach. As someone said, even if you go to take a piss, bring your gun. I know a guy who has come running back to the vehicle to grab his gun because he didn't. At night, I keep it in my tent, keeps it clean, safe, and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I'm impressed but I don't know how you can do it. I have had short naps in the passenger seat if I am on a really really long drive and find myself nodding off, then I will pull off and fold the seat back for a nap, but to actually sleep like that on a hunting trip? Not a chance.

Before I had trucks I had station wagons. I have to be able to stretch out flat and it can be hard as heck, that doesn't bother me and I sleep well. Since 1992 I've always had a pickup with a canopy. My wife used to come with me but at our age and with back issues (both 68 next week) she says she's done with sleeping in the "cramper."
    Happy early birthday to you both!

And sorry for the derail OP. Back to gun storage!

I think it's simplified with one rifle. If I bring a shotgun and a rifle and leave one behind in the vehicle, I make sure it's out of sight and has a trigger lock. I rarely ever bring more than one firearm though unless I'm road hunting for birds and opportunistically keeping an eye out for deer.

I don't use a tent and usually just hang a tarp. The rifle leans up against a tree; usually within reach. GD

Like I wrote above, I sleep in the canopy of my truck. Rifle is usually in its usual location behind the front seat in those cases.

Tenting? Well if I'm on a long trip in the wall tent I have my rifle in there, but if I'm in my smaller tent on a short trip usually I leave the gun in the truck too.

You can buy a rifle cover to protect your rifle while hiking.
    Rifle goes where I go.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    I like having mine in the tent with me, laying on the floor or on my clothes.
    I thought you were talking about your gun for a moment

I used to do overnight spike camps away from the trailer now and then and I would keep a flash light and my rifle with a shell in the chamber lying on the outside of my sleeping bag. Most bears are curious but are leery of humans and as long as you don't have any food in the tent they will leave you alone (most of the time). Leaving a bit of your scent (urine) around the tent will help as you get a heads up as the bear sniffs around you. It can be unnerving to be woken up by the sound of a bear sniffing the tent right beside your head. It's hard to get back to sleep when that happens.