Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rifle storage while camping

Re: Rifle storage while camping

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    C'mon! Are you saying that I couldn't tag a charging grizzly in the head in the dark in my sleeping bag in a tent lying down with the scope dialled up to 9x? You clearly haven't seen me in action! I'm somewhere between Charles Bronson and Chuck Norris

Keeping it beside me at night does tend to keep it dry, safe and located, though, that's for sure. I think you're right about being afraid in the bush though. What's the point of that? If you're not relaxed and enjoying it you're doing it wrong.
    Haha, I was just having some fun with him - I can just imagine a guy in his sleeping bag cuddling a loaded rifle not being able to sleep! That being said, I still bring a gun in the camper with me, it's my 12 gauge defender though - my rifle and scope cost me enough where they stay in their case when not trying to fill the freezer True though, can't be afraid of what's out there - just respect it!

Quote Originally Posted by Forks View Post
    Wow, way more response than I anticipated! Thanks everyone. I figured it would be common to just keep it in tent but thought there might be some other ideas out there. I don’t plan on doing any over nights in grizzly country as of yet, would definitely have rifle/shotgun in tent if there is a slight chance a grizz would be lurking around
    I'll take a shotgun for short range close quarter personal defense over any rifle any day...when your adrenaline is pumping and your in a make or break situation your gonna want some wiggle room for accuracy and stopping power haha.

on the picnic table very hot

Quote Originally Posted by Forks View Post
    I plan on doing a bit of back country camping while hunting come this fall since I’m set up with most of the gear needed for overnighting from my hiking background. The question I had was what is your preferred method of “storage” for your rifle when out hunting.............
    sounds like security may not be the priority here? Maybe just keep it dry and clean and in your control or locked vehicle.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    sounds like security may not be the priority here? Maybe just keep it dry and clean and in your control or locked vehicle.
    yes I guess I should have clarified, it was not so much a security point of view that I was asking from, but rather just what do you do with your rifle at the end of day when your out camping and not near your vehicle.

https://imgur.com/gallery/CuFETN8#8LPK42r

i just take the wife
    bears be gone

Some pretty nervous folks out there. The OP was regarding storage.
    Care and control means legal possession.
    I can grab a gun with no lock and drive to the bush and back all legal as long as it’s in my care and control. If you have multiple firearms or you are unable to have care and control broken vehicle or injuries you should have trigger locks available. I always carry them but never use them when I have care and control.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

'If you have multiple firearms or you are unable to have care and control broken vehicle or injuries you should have trigger locks available."

personal opinion noted
    but pretty pointless at preventing theft
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I keep the defender beside my cot when bowhunting in grizz country. When rifle hunting it is in the tent mostly to keep it safe and dry. I hate leaving any firearm locked in the truck while I'm away for the day hunting... too many thieving bass terds out there.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    'If you have multiple firearms or you are unable to have care and control broken vehicle or injuries you should have trigger locks available."

personal opinion noted
    but pretty pointless at preventing theft
    My post wasn’t intended to prevent theft it was to stay within the law. A gun trigger locked is stored safe as far as the law is concerned.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter