Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Talley Lightweight mounts (30mm) available for Sako 85 short action rifles?

Are Talley Lightweight mounts (30mm) available for Sako 85 short action rifles?

Just bought my first 30 mm scope and was wondering if the Talley Lightweight mounts are available fo a Sako 85 SS 7-08? If they aren't,,,,, what lighter weight mounts/rings would you recommend? Trying to keep the overall weight of the rifle/scope down. (Would prefer not buying the Sako Optilocks)

2. Site Sponsor

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Are Talley Lightweight mounts (30mm) available for Sako 85 short action rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Just bought my first 30 mm scope and was wondering if the Talley Lightweight mounts are available fo a Sako 85 SS 7-08? If they aren't,,,,, what lighter weight mounts/rings would you recommend? Trying to keep the overall weight of the rifle/scope down. (Would prefer not buying the Sako Optilocks)
    Thats the wonderful thing about Sako 85 rifles you can use the extremely heavy Sako Optilock system or the fairly heavy Leupold Optilock system, no Talleys Lightweights for the Sako 85.

You can get Talley steel bases and then some rings to go with it.

steel-base-for-sako-i-ii-iii-l461-l579-s491-m591-model-85
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 05-25-2021 at 08:24 AM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Re: Are Talley Lightweight mounts (30mm) available for Sako 85 short action rifles?

The Opti-lok rings/mounts are designed for the M-85.

That said, I have broken 2 sets of Leupold ring mounts, both times the rear one.

The front dovetail is diagonally situated, this means that the front ring will be slightly askew, more so as you mount forward or rearward of the center.

The Opti-loks have a polymer insert in the ring that will accommodate this.

With the Opti-loks you will be able to adjust scope in the mounts fairly close to point of impact with minor adjustment in the scope retical, thus maintaining very close to the scopes optical center.

A few ounces won't be noticed , but a broken mount will.

I have a set of Sako Opti-Lok lows in 30mm, Had it mounted on a Sako M-85 with a scope that had a 42mm objective.

I'll let them go if interested.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

The Optilok ring-mount that bolts directly to the dovetail might be the most attractive option for the Sako 85
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I've been using the Leupold ringmounts on my Sako 85 708 without issue for the last 7 years. I would not run them on magnum rifles but I have no problems running them on that short action. Like previously mentioned earlier the optilock one piece ringmounts are lighter than the 2 piece but heavier than the leupold

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    I've been using the Leupold ringmounts on my Sako 85 708 without issue for the last 7 years. I would not run them on magnum rifles but I have no problems running them on that short action. Like previously mentioned earlier the optilock one piece ringmounts are lighter than the 2 piece but heavier than the leupold
    I got mounts for mine about that long ago, as well. I'm thinking they were the Leupolds. I just looked at them now hoping that they may have been two piece mounts and rings so I could just get some 30 mm rings since these ones were 1" rings for the scope that is on my rifle now (Leupold VX3 2.5-10x40).

The scope I'm getting now is the VX5HD 3-15x44 (30mm). Will the Leupold Low one piece mounts work? I like my scope close to the barrel.

I have used a set of those leupolds pictued on a Sako 300WM for years with no problems at all.
    Dana says:"That isn't me braggin', that is just me stating a fact."

https://www.sako.fi/scope-mounts

Mine are S1701904

30mm LO

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    All my guns are Leupold mounts without fail all the way to 375 H&H mag.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    All my guns are Leupold mounts without fail all the way to 375 H&H mag.
    I guess a 7.5 lb Sako, 6x42 Leupold has a wickeder punch in 9.3x66 Sako than the afore mentioned.

The rear clamping screw , torqued to exact specifications sheared off twice.

Leupold replaced both times.

There was a hunter that wanted them but I told them they were sh!t, still wanted them so i sent them , no charge.

BTW that rifle made the 6x42 Leupold sh!t the bed as well.