Thread: SteriPen worth it?

SteriPen worth it?

Hello I am just curious if anyone uses the steripen. Was looking at the classic because it uses double a batteries and everything I use in the backcountry run to that

2. Site Sponsor

Re: SteriPen worth it?

Works great if your source water is clear. If it has particles in it, it cant bust through those. Fast flowing, non silty river - you're golden! Can you give a little more info about where you'll be and what you'll be doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Lelantos View Post
    Works great if your source water is clear. If it has particles in it, it cant bust through those. Fast flowing, non silty river - you're golden! Can you give a little more info about where you'll be and what you'll be doing?
    We will be doing a fly in Hunt on to a lake so we'll be taking Lake water

Have you looked at the gravity filters? They do a pretty good job as long as the water isn't so dirty it clogs the filter. They are fast too. If you're going to have a base camp they would be great. Could combine with the steri pen for extra safe water, though likely overkill.

That sounds fun, what species you chasing? Can I come

Quote Originally Posted by Lelantos View Post
    Have you looked at the gravity filters? They do a pretty good job as long as the water isn't so dirty it clogs the filter. They are fast too. If you're going to have a base camp they would be great. Could combine with the steri pen for extra safe water, though likely overkill.

That sounds fun, what species you chasing? Can I come
    Moose sorry nope

I use a combo of Steripen for clear water and a sawyer filter for lake water, works great! I have two sawyers, one bigger one for camp and the smaller one for the pack... Never had issues... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CWFR92M/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    I use a combo of Steripen for clear water and a sawyer filter for lake water, works great! I have two sawyers, one bigger one for camp and the smaller one for the pack... Never had issues... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CWFR92M/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    That is an excellent lightweight solution. Does the bigger one use gravity bags?

In head to head tests the steripen always seems to come out as more reliable than filters assuming you have no chemicals in the water. Something to keep in mind about ceramic filters is if you hit freezing temperatures in the field they're no longer reliable due to the ceramic tubes cracking. The classic is the most reliable model, use the pre-filter if you're dealing with some debris in the water and you're golden. If there's a chance of chemicals, gas etc in the water however then a steripen will do you no good and you'll need a legit filter.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear