Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northern BC Moose Rut

Re: Northern BC Moose Rut

The rut begins when the cows get "horny".
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Two years ago September 5th we had a cow calling around the lake. The next morning she had two bulls trailing her back up the valley. This was in 619

I've had moose come in to calls in late Sept. I usually start calling last two weeks of Sept, and just what they are responding to. Sometimes a cow call, sometimes a bull grunt.

I like to be out the last few days of September into October. I think year to year changes a bit too. I can’t remember the exact days I was out last fall, I’m going to guess sep20or 22. That was a touch early for last year. We had a bunch come in to the call, but they weren’t interested enough to come out in the open.

If you’re cruising the lake shore “looking” for moose you might want to go even earlier. I haven’t paid a lot of attention to moose pre-rut, but post rut they tend to ball up in little herds late October into November through the winter and I’m assuming they do this the rest of the year.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

The rut :
    quite a subject, lots of thoughts comments.
    my thoughts would be weather has nothing to do with the rut, maybe others can comment, the weather will curb activities to evening or overnight hours if it is hot, but I’ve always thought the same species of animal in a certain area will rut at the same time every year.
    whitetails in Texas rut, whitetails in northern Alberta rut, with a vast temperature delta between those regions.
    my understanding is the rut is brought on by the diminishing hours of daylight brought on by the fall, the days get shorter, less sunlight, with the less sunlight to an animals eye, this triggers a cutting off of a hormone & Stops the blood supply to the velvet, which in turn dies, dries, falls or gets rubbed off.

can anyone else add to this ?

The rut is triggered by the amount of daylight in the day . This is a the constant through time . As the daylight hours decrease this brings on the rut . The scientific name escapes me at present ,someone will chime in !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    The rut is triggered by the amount of daylight in the day . This is a the constant through time . As the daylight hours decrease this brings on the rut . The scientific name escapes me at present ,someone will chime in !
    Arctic Lake
    Concurr with the above.cows MUST be bred in a certain time frame..this year calf is safe in mommy..however they MUST be born in a time frame they can develop and be strong enough for next winters snows cold weather and predators..circle of life.
    When flying north Sept 25 untill Oct 15th..Oct 7th has historically been my best day, fwiw.
    Cheers
    Srupp