Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern BC Moose Rut

Northern BC Moose Rut

Hey everyone,

I am planning a moose hunt in Northern BC this year. We will be flying into a lake and hunting from there. Just wondering what everyone’s opinion is on when the rut starts, and when bulls start coming into cow calls. We are primarily planning on hunting the lake and hoping to find some moose around the shore. Any info helps, thanks in advance!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Northern BC Moose Rut

Hey booner,

I would say Sept 25 - Oct 10 is the BEST. Depends how far north you are going but I would say that is a safe bet. However last year I called one in Sept 14 and he came in pretty fast, small bull trying to get lucky early I guess. I hunter Atlin a few years ago and called in and shot a nice bull around Sept 20, watched him walk in for 2KM.

Anyway I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Fennemonster View Post
    Hey booner,

I would say Sept 25 - Oct 10 is the BEST. Depends how far north you are going but I would say that is a safe bet. However last year I called one in Sept 14 and he came in pretty fast, small bull trying to get lucky early I guess. I hunter Atlin a few years ago and called in and shot a nice bull around Sept 20, watched him walk in for 2KM.

Anyway I hope this helps.
    What is said above. When I was guiding I started calling on the 15th of Sept. and have had luck from then on. Best time is Sept 25-Oct 05.

Calling early will not hurt as you just never know.

Good Luck

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

In the pre rut have you seen bulls by the lakes or up high?

.........yes.......
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quite a few MU's in northern BC are closed to firearms for moose Oct 1-15. There's a hint for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    What is said above. When I was guiding I started calling on the 15th of Sept. and have had luck from then on. Best time is Sept 25-Oct 05.

Calling early will not hurt as you just never know.

Good Luck

Cheers

SS
    I would say your best time frame is bang on. Sept 25 to Oct 05. Right on the money.

The only thing I would add and probably not for you, but for others is this. Most, when they hear "calling moose", they think of bringing in moose to the calls. While that is certainly true, the other aspect of calling moose is holding moose. I have had good success calling moose even in August and November but not to bring in moose, but rather to hold moose. This is especially good for bow hunters who need to get in close. If they see a moose at a distance or perhaps only hear or suspect a moose is close by, simply giving soft calls and moving in slowly, moose will often stand and wait.

Believe it or not, in November I once walked to within 10 feet from a large cow moose using soft calf calls while slowly moving in a straight direction towards her, while she was standing in an open field. Of course, I will probably get the doubters about that, but so be it.

Cheers
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

We always found the first two weeks of October, with that being said the first four or say days of October they are just starting up then it’s hot for 10 days or so, very similar to the other comments posted
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Believe it or not, in November I once walked to within 10 feet from a large cow moose using soft calf calls while slowly moving in a straight direction towards her, while she was standing in an open field. Of course, I will probably get the doubters about that, but so be it.

It is amazing how people look like a moose when walking straight towards you, don't doubt that you could walk up on a cow like that.
    MM

Early Sept is good, the closer to the 20th the better I’ve found , they tend to move abit.
    i would at first tend to do the grunt call along with rubbing trees ( shoulder blade ) As a bonus you’ve mentioned flying into Northern BC,if you get an early snowfall go to your spot/stalk tactics if the bulls are not responding ... never a better time to be out in Sept .... and during this time I would definitely be packing an elk tag if they are also in the area you plan to hunt.
    Wish you good luck on the hunt , it’s coming up soon .... : )