Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baiting for ungulates, legal in B.C.?

Baiting for ungulates, legal in B.C.?

I don’t want to start an argument in regard of baiting. I’m studying the BC regulation and I would appreciate clarification in regards of baiting for ungulates in B.C.

From my understanding it is legal to bait in B.C. for certain species (Ex. Deer). Personally I mean/define baiting as food plots, cereals and mineral station. As well if a bear would be present at a bait, it would be illegal to harvest the bear.

The only information in regards of baiting I can find (bellow), prevent (cougar, coyote, wolf and bear) any kind of baiting.

1)B.C. regulation defines bait as: Means anything, including meat, cereals, cultivated crops, restrained animal or any manufactured product or material that may attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation foods, but does not include a decoy as described under these regulations.
    2)As well from the 2009-2010 hunting regulations on P.14, #16 it’s unlawful to intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf and bear) except when lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorized.

Call of the Wild

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Baiting for ungulates, legal in B.C.?

Hey,

The only thing you cannot bait in BC is bears.

Cheers Kyle

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Quote Originally Posted by KB90 View Post
    Hey,

The only thing you cannot bait in BC is bears.

Cheers Kyle
    You can not bait for cougars , or wolves either unless I read it wrong rule # 16 it is unlawful to:To intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar,Coyote,Wolf and Bear) except when lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorized.

So this means unless you have special permission no it is not legal to bait these dangerous or predatory animals (page 14 last years regs)
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

It is illegal to bait bears and migratory bame birds, and that is it. you can bait everything else.........end of thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    It is illegal to bait bears and migratory bame birds, and that is it. you can bait everything else.........end of thread.
    Could you be kind enough to explain to me about the regs please, you seem to have a good knowledge of them and I don't understand your perception, thank in advance for your clarification . I know you can bait for deer , elk moose, but nothing else that I knew of.

Kind of funny that you can't bait for migratory birds, yet you can hunt in crop fields where they feed

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    Could you be kind enough to explain to me about the regs please, you seem to have a good knowledge of them and I don't understand your perception, thank in advance for your clarification . I know you can bait for deer , elk moose, but nothing else that I knew of.

Kind of funny that you can't bait for migratory birds, yet you can hunt in crop fields where they feed
    And you can hunt bears in an oat or grain field, but not put out oats or grain for them to eat??? Kind of Fu$%^d if you ask me!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

You can not bait for cougars , or wolves either unless I read it wrong rule # 16 it is unlawful to:To intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar,Coyote,Wolf and Bear) except when lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorized.

So this means unless you have special permission no it is not legal to bait these dangerous or predatory animals (page 14 last years regs)
    The answer is within the rule, "lawfully engaged in hunting" meaning you cant feed something in your yard because its fun but you can feed/bait if you want to kill the animal, i.e wolves.
    Hunting geese in corn fields is no different than hunting blacktails in a slash, they're just eating food that is already there.

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    The answer is within the rule, "lawfully engaged in hunting" meaning you cant feed something in your yard because its fun but you can feed/bait if you want to kill the animal, i.e wolves.
    Hunting geese in corn fields is no different than hunting blacktails in a slash, they're just eating food that is already there.

When you say it this way , it would be good, but I wonder why in the regs as posted above that you used as an example too, bear is also in those brackets, doesn't that mean the same thing then as the other 3 species mentioned ? I guess if it is legal for the other three why would they put bear in the same spot in the regs. This would mean as you say all would be allowed to be baited since bear is there too, no ?

Thanks

To intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar,Coyote,Wolf and Bear) except when lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorized.

When you say it this way , it would be good, but I wonder why in the regs as posted above that you used as an example too, bear is also in those brackets, doesn't that mean the same thing then as the other 3 species mentioned ? I guess if it is legal for the other three why would they put bear in the same spot in the regs. This would mean as you say all would be allowed to be baited since bear is there too, no ?

Thanks

To intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar,Coyote,Wolf and Bear) except when lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorized.
    You are getting the two regs mixed up, the one you quote deals with feeding dangerous wildlife, it is illegal to feed dangerous game, anyone could potentialy be doing this, not just hunters.

Elsewhere in the regs it states it is illegal to bait bears and migratory game birds for hunting.

Thanks can you point out where that is for me, thanks