Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New leadcore line

Re: New leadcore line

What you could do, is lay down some standard "backing line" first, just enough to cover the bottom, then us either a nail know or
    double uni, from backing to lead.
    Use an Arbor Knot for reel.
    Some will use a Uni.
    You could also put down some electrical tape on the reel first, or right after attaching lead to reel using an Arbor knot, place the
    electrical tape and then reel on line from there.

I put a 12 lb mono leader onto my 18lb leadline with a nail knot. Seemed to hold, haven't fished with it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm sorry..knott used for tying leadcore to leader.
    Nail knot did not hold..surprising
    Double nail knot did not hold even with glue.
    Double surgeons knot did not work.
    Willis knot did not work..
    Will try the Palomar knot
    Then call manufacturer..grrr
    50 years of fishing tying knots. .back to having them fail...
    The new outer sheath is extremely slippery..
    Thank you Gents
    Steven
    Allthose knots are ' catch and release ' knots
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Lead core to leader, use a double uni knot. (uni on leadcore side, uni on leader and then they bang in to each other)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_72BbxuDKRM

She wont let go off the leader that way.

Years ago a very accomplished fly fisherman showed me how he finishes the end of his fly lines. First he trimmed the end of the fly line with razor knife at as shallow an angle as possible. Next he put the fly line into a fly tying vise. The fly line end was doubled back to form a very small permanent loop using the trimmed portion to form a gradual increase in line diameter to the loop itself. Once in place the line was whip finished with nylon thread and finally coated with head cement or whatever coating you prefer. This was before crazy glue. Simple to do, harder to describe.

Your leader can be tied to the loop using whatever knot you favour. I use a fisherman’s knot. At that time my mentor was using straight mono leaders for lake fishing instead of tapered leaders and could build a very small loop.

This loop end slides much easier through your rod guides than some other knots, for example jam knots or nail knots. This can prevent the loss of a big fish that unexpectedly makes a run with your leader in the guides. Quick and easy to replace leaders. If the thread unravels with wear it can be re-tied in the field. I have been finishing the tips of my fly lines this way for a long time.

Attaching fly line to the backing my mentor would soak a few inches of the fly line in fingernail polish remover (acetone) for a few minutes and then strip the finish off with his fingernails down to the braided line underneath. This made tying to the backing way easier. Might help you with the finish problem, maybe?
    Last edited by Phila; 05-24-2021 at 12:15 PM.

you stripped the lead out right?
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

My fly lines if they don't come with a loop, i just loop the fly line, and then using mono make a nail knot over the loop.
    Cinch down and i have a loop.
    Probably can do the same for leaded line to leaders.