Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripods

Re: Tripods

I have a Siriu T-024SK with a VA-5 pan head. I think it runs about $600 for the combo in Canada. I found a good deal south of the border when I purchased mine. You can stand up and glass with it and it packs down small enough for a sheep hunt. Weighs just under 3 lbs. I’m very happy with it.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Nightforce A429
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.270 View Post
    re: mounting I already have a picatinny rail on both of my rifles for the quick release atlas bipod, so I'd be a bit reluctant to add another rail section, hence why I was thinking clamp mount.

Thanks for the input so far.

Emerson - which tripod were you using?
    Spartan has a Valhalla bipod that's meant to attach to a Picatinny rail as well. I personally haven't use one of those though.

Well I just purchased a brand new set of Swarovski NL Pure 10 by 42s (thank-you precision optics) and I ordered the Outdoorsman stud and at Short adapter but I would like to upgrade my tripod as well. I'm looking at the Slick CF634 or the sirui T-024SK. I will be using it for taking pictures with my camera but mostly glassing with the binoculars at sitting or standing positions. Anyone have any feedback on the two

If it helps, Ive been digging into this for the last little while trying to make the same decision. After drooling over the new spartan Ascent - too far out of my range for now, still need new binos - I settled on the Slik Pro CF-634 with a Sirui VA-5 Head. Very solid reviews all around - came to 522ish shipped from USA. B&H photo/video ships free to Canada. As mentioned above, going to look into the ACRA rail mounting for my rifle as a shooting stand option.

Quote Originally Posted by walker1985 View Post
    Just picked up a Spartan Ascent tripod. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I like the versatility
    Walker, did you get a chance to use your Ascent Tripod? how did you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.270 View Post
    re: mounting I already have a picatinny rail on both of my rifles for the quick release atlas bipod, so I'd be a bit reluctant to add another rail section, hence why I was thinking clamp mount.

Thanks for the input so far.

Emerson - which tripod were you using?
    Too cheap to buy a good one right now; don’t want a cheap one. My 3 main rifles have ARCA rails already. I want RRS, but will probably end up with a Vortex or 2Vets. I’ve learned the value of higher end gear the last couple years. Don’t go cheap.

I've been use a manfrotto tripod that I bought years back for my camera. It has a quick release that I've attached to my spotter and another one that I attached to a piece of PVC with a piece of foam glued to it to use as a rifle rest.

Not the best but it works. Altho the tripod is starting to show wear and many of the connections to extend the legs are crack and broken. I've used zip ties to hold them together.

Definitely not made for mountain hunting.

Anyone try the new vortex tripods? I think the Ridgeview looks pretty nice.

I picked up a Triclawps clamp mount and am now going to look for a tripod with a good 2-way pan head that can quickly be swapped out between binos/spotter and the clamp mount for shooting.