Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripods

Tripods

So this year I am thinking of taking the plunge into getting a tripod. Uses will be primarily glassing with my 15x56 Swarovski binos, or secondarily with a spotting scope (also on the shopping list). Primarily alpine deer hunting or long distance cut block glassing. If possible it would be interesting to be able to carry a clamp mount for my rifle to shoot off as well, as depending on terrain a prone shot with a bipod is not always an option. Looking for ideas about brand/model, height (I think I would prefer something I can use sitting or standing) and head type. For now I’m willing to consider pretty much anything under $1,000 but would obviously prefer to keep it more reasonable to increase my budget for a spotting scope.

thx!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tripods

Slightly more than you want to spend but you can thank me later;

https://javelinbipod.com/products/ascent-tripod

I run their tripod, and bipod ranging from 7”-48” I believe.. great products amazing customer service and supporting a quality company across the pond, no Chinese shit.

Outdoorsman with pistol grip

very happy with the outdoorsmans and right around your budget

I would not buy a tripod that can’t comfortably and solidly support my rifle. A good one with some practice would give me under 2 MOA groups without other support. I’ve half met my needs many times in my life due to budget restrictions, but ended up spending almost as much as the proper solution.

A used Revic tripod that you might want to look at on Alberta outdoorsman forum.

I opted for a Field optics research tripod. Kit came with two legs that are removable for walking sticks, hand grips for the sticks, bag, head,... literally a complete set up. I chose this one for the capacity to carry the weight-- basically weight capacity=stability.
    As for a clamp mount to shoot from=don't bother and just mount an acra rail on your rifle to quickly clamp directly into the tripod.

Just picked up a Spartan Ascent tripod. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I like the versatility

Quote Originally Posted by walker1985 View Post
    Just picked up a Spartan Ascent tripod. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I like the versatility
    they are amazing, hopefully OP lives by the motto buy once cry once and picks one up, rather than getting something half as good ^^

re: mounting I already have a picatinny rail on both of my rifles for the quick release atlas bipod, so I'd be a bit reluctant to add another rail section, hence why I was thinking clamp mount.

Thanks for the input so far.

Emerson - which tripod were you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.270 View Post
    re: mounting I already have a picatinny rail on both of my rifles for the quick release atlas bipod, so I'd be a bit reluctant to add another rail section, hence why I was thinking clamp mount.

Thanks for the input so far.

Emerson - which tripod were you using?
    You can change the atlas to use the acra rail as well. Trust me it is easier and faster than using a clamp on device on the tripod. I have tried them, and converting everything to acra rail, clamps.

That way all universal across all rifles and mounting/ bipods I have and use.