Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DFO edited peer reviewed scientific paper on Steelhead

Re: DFO edited peer reviewed scientific paper on Steelhead

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    It's a tragedy, no doubt about that. The biggest problem for society is what happens after they are declared a Species at Risk. How many really understand what that would mean to any kind of industry(logging, mining,ranching, farming to name a few), development, sport or commercial fishery. The level of oversight that would take place in the whole Fraser system because of a SARA designation would be huge. DFO knows this and are not prepared. Is it time? Yes but be prepared for what will be coming. Once it is enacted they MUST act, think Southern Resident Killer Whale. ANY activity within in the Fraser system will be reviewed with those fish in mind. It's long overdue but there are huge consequences.
    True, but the alternative is extinction. There is something perverse about a designation that is intended to protect an endangered species that we are too scared to use because of the broader implications and the failure to do so then results in the extinction of the species the designation was supposed to protect in the first place. This country has adopted a pathetic "can't do" mindset and the willingness to let these fish disappear because it is a hassle to protect them is all the evidence needed to confirm this. There is no good reason to let this happen beyond a dysfunctional and incompetent bureaucracy. DFO is a disgrace.

Canada has adopted a WSP, Wild Salmon Policy.....
    It may very well be the end of our Iconic Salmon Runs.
    It's Policy attempts to make everything natural again, back to the pre industrial world. Not possible actually. Not any more.
    We're surrounded by California, Oregon, Washington to the south that help their runs with hatchery programs, to the North Alaska is farming Salmon in the open ocean, no pens..... We farm here with Atlantic Salmon, in Pens . Not even native to our coast, in pathways of migrating wild Salmon. Destroying them as Smolts and invasion of sea lice.
    Way to go Top Brass of DFO and government past and present.
    They lie, they use smoke and mirrors to appear they are doing something. It's obviously not working.
    They don't even follow recommendations from their own Biologists.
    Think of the Cowen commission years ago. NOTHING has been done.
    Heads of DFO could care less. If it's gone for good, they have nothing to manage. No more headaches, but what's left will be ALL for the FNs.......
    Time to rid this coastline of DFO and their Pathetic Management along with the Political BS that goes with it.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Again, i have to wonder what is really going on behind closed doors back east.
    Yes, to protect the steelhead, it would mean reviewing everything that can interfere with the steelhead and its survival.
    Yes, could mean the end of much of the commercial sector possibly.
    Although, i would like to know how much of the commercial fisherman actually catch steelhead as a by-catch.
    As for the sportsman, with a line a barbless hook, a catch and release policy, i have issue seeing how they could be shut down
    if the steelhead are running at the same time they are salmon running.

I am wondering how much of this has to do with "interfering with the FN" and their NETS.
    Nets both commercial and on the rivers is where i see the big hits happening for steelhead survival.
    Especially nets on a river, as everything has to go up a single little hwy.
    Where as on the ocean, different species may be using different routes, so you may not always be catching steelhead just
    because a net is out there.

Its disgusting to see that we will eliminate a species.
    It also makes me think it is a expensive "lawsuit", BUT, i wonder if it would be money worth spending to get "everyone" on the same page, using the same equipment only and stopping with "special rights".

So much for laws to protect a species if the Feds and politicians try to bury the truth.
    That is a lawsuit if there ever was one.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    True, but the alternative is extinction. There is something perverse about a designation that is intended to protect an endangered species that we are too scared to use because of the broader implications and the failure to do so then results in the extinction of the species the designation was supposed to protect in the first place. This country has adopted a pathetic "can't do" mindset and the willingness to let these fish disappear because it is a hassle to protect them is all the evidence needed to confirm this. There is no good reason to let this happen beyond a dysfunctional and incompetent bureaucracy. DFO is a disgrace.
    Absolutely agree, it's ridiculous. I have to think that the biggest cause for hesitancy on their part is that they would have to deal with the in river native fishery.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Again, i have to wonder what is really going on behind closed doors back east.
    Yes, to protect the steelhead, it would mean reviewing everything that can interfere with the steelhead and its survival.
    Yes, could mean the end of much of the commercial sector possibly.
    Although, i would like to know how much of the commercial fisherman actually catch steelhead as a by-catch.
    As for the sportsman, with a line a barbless hook, a catch and release policy, i have issue seeing how they could be shut down
    if the steelhead are running at the same time they are salmon running.

I am wondering how much of this has to do with "interfering with the FN" and their NETS.
    Nets both commercial and on the rivers is where i see the big hits happening for steelhead survival.
    Especially nets on a river, as everything has to go up a single little hwy.
    Where as on the ocean, different species may be using different routes, so you may not always be catching steelhead just
    because a net is out there.

Its disgusting to see that we will eliminate a species.
    It also makes me think it is a expensive "lawsuit", BUT, i wonder if it would be money worth spending to get "everyone" on the same page, using the same equipment only and stopping with "special rights".

So much for laws to protect a species if the Feds and politicians try to bury the truth.
    That is a lawsuit if there ever was one.
    Bugle be ready. There will be no where or group to hide behind or that can expect a pass because of how they fish. They will not be able to justify closing the native fishery until all others are closed. People might not like to hear it but that will be the reality. DFO knows this and is why they don't want SAR put on any Fraser run of salmon even though it's needed.

I've said this before, I'll say it now, and I'll say it again I'm sure.

The DFO is the most poorly governed, most mismanaged, and incompetent federal government department in history.

Doesn't matter if it's the east coast cod fishery, west coast salmon fisheries, shellfish, native "fisheries", steelhead, enforcement, enhancement... You name it. If they've touched or even had their smell near it, they've f**cked it up.

I'm sure there are some good people in the DFO, but few and far between I'm thinking...

"OMG, a government agency is lying to us again."

Are you all new to this country?
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    Absolutely agree, it's ridiculous. I have to think that the biggest cause for hesitancy on their part is that they would have to deal with the in river native fishery.
    Yes, agreed. But even so this is not an insurmountable issue with some political will involved. Will everyone really just shrug and pretend these fish never existed? I simply can’t wrap my head around the cynicism and hypocrisy of all parties that would allow this to happen. We have created a system that destroys what it was intended to protect.

BCWF on Global News speaking out against Steelhead management
    DFO accused of risking B.C. steelhead extinction

The federal government is being accused of risking the extinction of B.C steelhead runs by not listening to the advice of its own scientists. That’s the claim of the BC Wildlife Federation. It’s obtained DFO documents which raise some serious questions about how the resource is being managed. Linda Aylesworth reports.

https://globalnews.ca/video/7871083/dfo-accused-of-risking-b-c-steelhead-extinction

Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

The only comment from DFO about the news was that they are looking after it
    and trying to change the by-catch numbers

which will never happen when killer gill nets are in the rivers.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole