Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bear help!

Re: Bear help!

Haha. That’s awesome caddisguy. I just spent the week working up in haida gwaii. Tons of bears out and about. Too bad it’s only leh. I went out last night for a jog up an old road not far from town. Came around a corner and there was a tank of a boar eating grass in the ditch. He wouldn’t budge with me chatting at him so I turned around and tried a different spur. About a kilometre later ran into another slightly smaller bear. Neat to see. Some of these bears up here are monsters!

Rose geranium oil keeps them off of me. Amazon.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Nice job on getting close and snapping a picture!!!!

...Lastly, lots of traffic is not conducive to a good bear spot. The less traffic a particular spot has, the more bears you'll tend to see and more bigger bears.
    Thanks Ron. Even on a weekday it's tough to get away from traffic in the area, multiple logging trucks and recreational users.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    Glassing region 2 is hard. Find a spot with sign and sit. You would be amazed that you can walk into a spot with lots of sign see nothing leave come back 15 minutes later and there’s a bear. Give that tactic a try...
    I will definitely try this. Glad it's not just me feeling like I'm doing something wrong trying to glass Reg 2. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    ...That's a respectable and reasonably fresh (24hr tops) scat btw. Any good grass / dandelion action bear by? Check to see if there are missing dandelions heads and nipped grass? Might be a good place for a sit.
    Thanks for responding. Lots of green in the area but I can't seem to find bigger grass areas. Some dandelions but I didn't think to look closer at the dandelions, I will try this strategy next time.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    What the others said...and judging by your scat pic, that's a big bear left that pile....don't know about reg 2 but where I am they like eating dandelions and clover it seems when it's out...
    Thanks. I thought it looked like a big bear as well, it's the biggest pile of crap I've found so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest the Land View Post
    All great advice so far. I would emphasize that right now at this specific time of year when they're just waking up, to focus on the freshest patches of green grass you can find, because that's what they're keying in on right now. Eventually they gradually start eating dandelions and other forage like that, but right now I would say its all about grass.

Also, Region 2 is a pretty difficult area to cut your teeth in bear hunting, for a variety of reasons not the least of which is the rugged terrain, so don't get discouraged. Its a steep learning curve, but there's definitely a good number of bears and plenty of colour phased ones too.

You're on the right track
    Thanks for the mental support! It is actually quite helpful to know there's hope with the approach, haha. I am having a hard time locating bigger areas of green grass. I see small patches everywhere with no bear sign in them (or I'm missing it - IE: dandelion heads missing). It sometimes feels like this area is nothing but dense rain forrest.

Quote Originally Posted by RainyLaker View Post
    I'd be interested in going out together...
    Thanks for the story Rainy, will PM today.

Overall, I think I need to get further away from the main FSR roads which I'm having some trouble with because a lot of the side roads are gated or marked as heavy logging use and to stay off of them. Where I see the scat too many vehicles seem to drive by frequently, so I walk or sit for a bit and a vehicle or two passes and it seems senseless to stay in the area with all the racket. Need to be a bit more adventurous I suppose and pick a smaller road (like the ones that look like only an ATV would fit?) and stick to it for 5-10km walking/sitting when I see sign. Great responses though guys, I appreciate you all taking the time.
    Last edited by MZac; 05-14-2021 at 08:53 AM.

MZac, seen that same huge pile the day before you were there, it was cold when i came across it, wednesday 11 am ish, i hung out for while, did not see a thing, yes very busy traffic up there, but the bruins are there, take your time, i will heading up again mid week, good luck.

Same pile just my foot on other side.

Why you shot him, just with the camera instead .

Aside, Love "caddisguy" Fraser Valley Tactic

Your doing a good job i would have blasted the little one and cooked it like a turkey to pop my cherry lol...

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Your doing a good job i would have blasted the little one and cooked it like a turkey to pop my cherry lol...
    If I'm being honest, I have such little experience that I wasn't sure if it was a cub or not (just in case it was ~1 years old). Was busy looking and listening for a mom. In hindsight it wasn't a cub, and I'd have shot it if I was sure at the time.
    Last edited by MZac; 05-14-2021 at 11:13 AM.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

For starters, if you like to walk look for wet areas with new grass sprouting. If you smell Skunk Cabbage that much better. Then find a decent spot out of the Wind and Glas Glas Glas.

Good Luck
    Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    If I'm being honest, I have such little experience that I wasn't sure if it was a cub or not (just in case it was ~1 years old). Was busy looking and listening for a mom. In hindsight it wasn't a cub, and I'd have shot it if I was sure at the time.
    Always better be shy on the trigger than heavy...good job you will get one.