Thread: Bear help!

Threaded View

Bear help!

First year hunting big game and the bears have been illusive. I've gotten out about a half dozen times (mostly I was too early in the season, was eager to get out April 1st.. Then 15th...then 21st...). I'm finally starting to see sign, like this today:

And I did see this juvenile crossing an fsr in front of me:

I was able to get out, load my rifle, and stalk him to get within 25 yards and snap the pic. But he was the first one I've seen in the wild while hunting and looked small (much smaller than the picture appears, like a mid sized dog), and it all happened quite quickly. I wasn't sure and eventually as I climbed the hill the bear took off.

I'm in region 2 and I'm looking for some help with what else I can do. I've come accross fresh scat on fsr's a couple times and the areas I've found them in are super thick and steep (in these areas of region 2 I can't see anything through the trees beyond a few feet outside of cut blocks). There haven't been any cut blocks within a few km of where I've seen the fresh scat.

So, I end up getting out of the truck, walking the road, and hanging out in the area for a while. What else, if anything, should I be doing in these scenarios?

I'm also really new to finding decent glassing areas. I don't know if this is a common problem in region 2 as everything seems so thick, or if I just suck at it. Any help appreciated.

I can usually get out for half to full days during the week, if anyone else has that kind of weird availability and wants to get out, I'm definitely open to it.
    Last edited by MZac; 05-14-2021 at 08:51 AM.

2. Site Sponsor