Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I reading the regs correctly? No ATV at all during certain times in certain zones.

Am I reading the regs correctly? No ATV at all during certain times in certain zones.

Hi, Reading the regs and I see the following....

ATVs and Snowmobiles for Hunting Closed Areas( See page 12): The operation of snowmobiles and ATVs (including motorcycles and electric bicycles) for the purpose of hunting, to transport wildlife, to transport firearms or equipment and supplies which are intended for or in support of hunting, or to transport a hunter to or from the location of wildlife is prohibited in these areas.
    MU 5-3 from 4:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. from Sept 1 to Nov 30.

So this means that you can't drive an ATV from 4 am to 10 am in ANY part of 5-03 from Sept 1 to Nov 30, for hunting purposes. So if you submit for limited entry moose and get it, you better be prepared to not use an ATV from 4 am to 10 am? Not that I'm opposed to that, but kind of don't like limiting myself.

Does anyone know why certain areas have time restrictions for ATV's? I can't really understand why. Maybe guessing that any work in the area (logging, etc.) may have large trucks on the road in the morning and they've had accidents in the dark? Just trying to make a guess.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Am I reading the regs correctly? No ATV at all during certain times in certain zo

Quote Originally Posted by fishhunt View Post
    Hi, Reading the regs and I see the following....

ATVs and Snowmobiles for Hunting Closed Areas( See page 12): The operation of snowmobiles and ATVs (including motorcycles and electric bicycles) for the purpose of hunting, to transport wildlife, to transport firearms or equipment and supplies which are intended for or in support of hunting, or to transport a hunter to or from the location of wildlife is prohibited in these areas.
    MU 5-3 from 4:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. from Sept 1 to Nov 30.

So this means that you can't drive an ATV from 4 am to 10 am in ANY part of 5-03 from Sept 1 to Nov 30, for hunting purposes. So if you submit for limited entry moose and get it, you better be prepared to not use an ATV from 4 am to 10 am? Not that I'm opposed to that, but kind of don't like limiting myself.

Does anyone know why certain areas have time restrictions for ATV's? I can't really understand why. Maybe guessing that any work in the area (logging, etc.) may have large trucks on the road in the morning and they've had accidents in the dark? Just trying to make a guess.
    The answer to your question is easy. It's called hunting. The Wildlife Branch is trying to ease the hunting pressure on moose, by guys riding around all day looking for game. If you think about it, you can cover a lot more ground on a quad in a n hour than you can walking. So scout the areas you want to hunt, get up early and ride in before 4 am, then you can ride out after 10, and hopefully with a moose. to be honest with you, I believe this will make some hunters more successful, because all the road noise will be reduced, so game will probably move around more early morning without being spooked.

Re: Am I reading the regs correctly? No ATV at all during certain times in certain zo

This has been standard for many areas in BC for a while. My guess would be pressure on game during the morning hours?
    WSSBC
    CCFR

The quads scare the outfitters horses...but don't worry, another group can drive in at night and use spotlights to traditionally harvest any and all game 24/7.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Doesn't really matter anyways, nobody follows these restrictions! I'll walk in, and then I'll hear putt, putt, putt, of a quad coming in! piss a fellow off for sure!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Been a rule in many areas for at least 15 years, time restrictions or no vehicle access at all.
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Over 25 years now that REGULATION has being in effect in a few MU's ! RJ

The area I used to hunt had a restriction like that. At first I thought it was a pain, but then I started liking it. Get up early, get to your spot, and hunt in peace and quiet. I wish more areas had that restriction.

X2 for the peace and quiet. Get in early, shut off the machine and don't start er up again till after 10. No a-hole tearing along by on an ATV.

So I do understand the regs, and It sounds like it's to reduce the hunting pressure. Which is fine. I hunt many different ways and am not opposed to various restrictions. I do know that I'm not riding into any area before 4 am.