Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY titanium stove build

DIY titanium stove build

I've been slowly putting this together as time permits and now that I ordered a new Cimarron I still have 6-8 weeks to finish it haha. Kind of copying the Seek Outside stoves. I'm making 2 of these, one for a friend and one for myself but I have more material so if I need to tweak my design I can make more.

The outside dimensions are about 10 1/4"W X 14 1/2"D and 8 1/4"H.

I was lucky enough to get a hold of some 0.025" titanium sheets and I have access to some sheet metal tools at work.

First I made the sides, 2 of each length with a 90° bend on the ends to make them a bit more rigid and to fit together:

Then I drilled out the hole on the front and ground it down smooth. I went through quite a few small sanding drums on my die grinder on the titanium. I made a door and a couple pieces with a joggle in them to use as guides and riveted them on with Monel rivets.

Here's how the sides sit together:

I'm going to run a rod on the inside of each corner to keep things tight. I'm just having a hard time finding some ready rod or something that will work that's light weight and strong enough. Threaded titanium rod is pretty expensive so I'm thinking of maybe finding something in the 10-32 size range or M5?

Continued on next post...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: DIY titanium stove build

Then I made a top and bottom, 2 of these:

I was going to bend some small 90° pieces to rivet onto the corners but I think they turned out stiff enough as is and it would have been extra weight as well.

Here's some pictures all put together with a little tape:

Everything fits into the bottom piece:

All packed up:

to be continued...
    Last edited by KBC; 05-12-2021 at 09:36 PM.

Now the stuff I need to finish off:
    I need to decide on a stove pipe and drill the hole in the top for it. Right now I'm leaning towards just ordering the SO spark arrestor and stove pipe. I think that set up is the best one I've seen out there so far but that isn't the cheapest option either.

I need to figure out the vents in the front. I'm thinking of drilling some holes across the front similar to the SO stoves and just slipping in a cover in between the lip on the bottom and the front of the stove. I bent up a few covers to be able to let in a bit more or less air if needed. I have seen a lot of guys don't even cover the vents at all so I didn't want to make them more complicated and a more permanent install in case I don't use them. Here's a pic of them:

You can see there's 3 of them that just slip in.

Last to figure out is what I mentioned above about figuring out the legs/rods that go through it to hold the sides tight.

Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

Cheers!
    Last edited by KBC; 05-12-2021 at 09:45 PM.

Looks good. If you had to buy all the materials how much do you think you'd be in it for

Nice job! Looks great!
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    Looks good. If you had to buy all the materials how much do you think you'd be in it for
    Not sure. If I was buying the material I'd probably go with 0.020" thick to save a bit more weight. To give you an idea of size, this one is about the same as the Seek Outside SXL and I had enough material to make 2 of them with very little waste out of a 36"x48" sheet. I didn't see on their site what thickness they use but I think these will end up a little heavier so I'm assuming they use slightly thinner material.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Nice job! Looks great!
    Thanks!

Where can I place my order?

Some very nice work there!

looks good

Looks great KBC. You can buy 3’ or 6’ stainless rod from Fastenal in 10-24. The roll up stove pipe would be the way to go for weight and being compact.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

For the corners maybe a flat strap with 90's at the end that snap over the top and bottom for a friction fit?
    or angle 1x1 to wrap the vertical joint but same idea, bent end to snap over edge
    Like those on the Kni-Co Tundra stove
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole