Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Offensive ad...

Re: Offensive ad...

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Do you have a pic of the offensive ad?
    nicely played
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

I’m offended I’m not the one holding one of those Brutes
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterFSJ View Post
    Check out the Wild Sheep Raffles advertisment in the latest issue of BC Outdoors magazine (p.17).
    I am surprised that the BCWF sanctioned the use of this photo in the BCWF section of the magazine. And how about the Wild Sheep Society?

I'll look into it but there are probably three things worth mentioning.

First, we all talk about how grip and grin photos can be counter-productive. Now, I wouldn't classify the pic as offensive or in poor taste, but I can still allow that there are some low information/high emotion people in the world who would lose their minds over it (which is kind of why we talk about grip and grins being counter-productive). Might have been an unwise move publishing it.

Mind you, in second place is the fact that there are a lot of hunters who recognize that some people lose their minds at pics like that but don't want to pretend that we don't do what we actually do. It's tough to navigate who a hunting organization/publication is supposed to make happy - the vegan ARA or the regular hunter.

Third, I'm not sure BCWF has editorial control over what ads BCO runs. I'll look into that, but you might be making some unwarranted assumptions. I might be wrong but I've never heard of anyone at BCWF being in a position to approve or disapprove BCO content, and I do remember past issues where we had to talk to BCO after the fact and remind them who the audience actually is.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    I'll look into it but there are probably three things worth mentioning.

First, we all talk about how grip and grin photos can be counter-productive. Now, I wouldn't classify the pic as offensive or in poor taste, but I can still allow that there are some low information/high emotion people in the world who would lose their minds over it (which is kind of why we talk about grip and grins being counter-productive). Might have been an unwise move publishing it.

Mind you, in second place is the fact that there are a lot of hunters who recognize that some people lose their minds at pics like that but don't want to pretend that we don't do what we actually do. It's tough to navigate who a hunting organization/publication is supposed to make happy - the vegan ARA or the regular hunter.

Third, I'm not sure BCWF has editorial control over what ads BCO runs. I'll look into that, but you might be making some unwarranted assumptions. I might be wrong but I've never heard of anyone at BCWF being in a position to approve or disapprove BCO content, and I do remember past issues where we had to talk to BCO after the fact and remind them who the audience actually is.
    Thank you for your thoughts!

I have confirmed that we do not review any ad copy prior to publication.

I can also add that we're working on our relationship with the publishers of BCO not that we're unhappy, but we can always improve.

Do you want me to have your concern brought up and discussed with those doing that work?
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

My main objection comes from not being along on that hunt, but I do see where non-hunters may get squeamish from the furless heads with eyeballs. A head still fur covered or a completed euro mount are less macabre to the huddled masses who think meat comes ifrom aisle 20 at Safeway.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I would agree with you ! It doesn’t bother me but I’m a hunter ,but I could see how it would bother some squeamish types Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    My main objection comes from not being along on that hunt, but I do see where non-hunters may get squeamish from the furless heads with eyeballs. A head still fur covered or a completed euro mount are less macabre to the huddled masses who think meat comes ifrom aisle 20 at Safeway.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I am going with the "could have been better" camp.
    I have pictures myself with similar reflection for sure, but i am a hunter and i get it.

But, those are private, especially these days.
    And in that is my point, as things that are for public consumption doesn't always mean the viewer has the stomach or knowledge for it or behind it.

I am getting older, and view things differently i suppose now.
    But there is also a large force out there now that really wants us gone.
    Just had the Skeena FN say they don't like seeing folks "playing with their food". (catch and release fishing)
    Next will be them stating we are only hunting "for bone" etc, and thus be banned from it too.

It is only 1 photo and only 1 second in the entire time of the hunt.
    But then again, many say a picture "says a thousand words".
    In this case, it does "not", and as hunters we know that.
    Anyone else outside, wont get any other message from hunting other than that which you see.

Being that it's in BC Outdoors magazine...
    The magazine is targeted towards outdoor people. Blood and guts is part of the process. Anyone that's against hunting and looking in BC Outdoors are there to find something to be offended by in the first place.
    Look how nice safari photos are. Animals all clean and basically look like they're sleeping. Anti hunters (and some hunters) still get offended by that.

That said:
    I wasn't even aware of the picture until pointed out here. Soooo... ya

The more we cower in the darkness, the more outcast we become.

The fact that one of our members even brought it to our attention means it might not be the best photo to run. It being in BCO does help target audience, but non-hunters and antis DO occasionally look at magazines. They might not realize that BC Outdoors is a hunt/fish mag and be in for a surprise. I’m sure those types will find even the mildest images appalling, but that’s just how it is. This particular photo might just be a bit too far for some to handle
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.