Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A question of Ethics

Re: A question of Ethics

Unfortunately it's more illegal to trap and domesticate wildlife. Buy some turkeys plain and simple raise them and have more than enough birds. Or bow it legally.

Yup turkey chicks are 9dollars each easy yo raise..a job to process..i like the wild ones and hunt them even though i raise turkeys...but a free range bought chick is great table fair..i raises so many i started grinding them and mixing them with bear meat to make homade european weiners brought 20lbs of them for my staff bbq and they all disapeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    Interesting question. I would say yes they are. When enough people become morally outraged about a law, they can vote, protest or lobby to have it changed. For better or worse many laws have been changed because of moral outrage. As for the friend with the turkeys I would say it is unethical to break the law even though it feels morally right to him and may seem that way to others. But remember morals may not help you avoid the fine.
    So ethics are communal and you can’t have your own ethical code? So long as the majority of people say something is ethical/unethical....your ethics automatically align? You don’t have your own opinion on ethics....just go with the majority?
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    So ethics are communal and you can’t have your own ethical code? So long as the majority of people say something is ethical/unethical....your ethics automatically align? You don’t have your own opinion on ethics....just go with the majority?
    Like I said it's interesting. Yes I would say ethics are communal and if I follow my own moral compass and go against the ethics of the broader community I am then doing something unethical. But in all honestly Ive never really thought about to much and could be convinced differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    Like I said it's interesting. Yes I would say ethics are communal and if I follow my own moral compass and go against the ethics of the broader community I am then doing something unethical. But in all honestly Ive never really thought about to much and could be convinced differently.
    Not sure I’m real convincing on this...but I do disagree with you.....ethics are extremely personal. Social mores are communal. What you find ethical is up to you, but I may not feel the same....doesn’t make one of us right and the other wrong, except to each other.

To blindly follow the broader community’s ethical standard is groupthink.....and bends your own standards. I prefer to set, and live by my own standards...not someone else’s.

This is also why different companies have different ethical codes and standards of conduct employees need to follow...because they may not be the same as the company you came from...or simply new to you. While they are a community ethical standard, they are different than another community....just like how individuals have different ethical boundaries among each other.

I think this is the point of the thread (kinda)...that ethics are much different than the law, which is much closer to social mores.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    The only difference here, is this friend is not shooting a turkey. He's trapping one. Fully licensed. During an open season.
    .22 with CB Caps if he is in a discharge area. if he can not discharge on his property and he is trapping them. that part is not legal. The Ethics of it depends on weather you call breaking the law to suit your needs ethical.
    Will it hurt the population? no one here can say because we do not know how good the population is where your buddies land is.

so really, its kind of a mute point isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    I think this is the point of the thread (kinda)...that ethics are much different than the law, which is much closer to social mores.
    if the thread was to question / debate Ethics vs morals vs law I would have hoped that it would have been worded as such.
    But I do aggree with you. Ethics are personal, though they can change as a person "learns". Places like this site used to teach me quite often different aspects to a question. Today what I might think is unethical might change tomorrow if someone shows me a better way. The problem comes when one justifies something as "Ethical" when it goes against the law. Ergo a hit deer on the road side, its going to die slowly. Do you shoot it? it is not deer season but you are in a place you can shoot... its illegal but given the right circumstance it might be "Right " to shoot it.

180 Grainers buddie,,, if he is over run with turkeys … its probably because he is feeding them... I really dont care myself if he traps them in legal season and kills an otherwise legal bird. but I cant tell someone that it is Ethical because its illegal.