Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A question of Ethics

Re: A question of Ethics

So all laws are ethical?
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    So all laws are ethical?
    Interesting question. I would say yes they are. When enough people become morally outraged about a law, they can vote, protest or lobby to have it changed. For better or worse many laws have been changed because of moral outrage. As for the friend with the turkeys I would say it is unethical to break the law even though it feels morally right to him and may seem that way to others. But remember morals may not help you avoid the fine.

I always remind folks that there are 3 levels of moral adherence...the most current is always what the common folk think....lagging behind that by a few decades (or more) is the laws that are created to close in on the common values...then behind that by another few decades (or more) is what religions teach as "morally correct"...

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    Ethics and the law this government imposes on us are two very separate things. The way things are these days, I’m more and more inclined to flout the law....sometimes because it’s arbitrary and stupid, sometimes because it’s clearly just a way to garner revenue from citizens, and sometimes just because of who the lobbied for the law....Ethics and the law are not the same....a lot of mans law can get stuffed, but my ethics don’t generally compromise...having said that, I know I’ve done things I’ve regretted.

Ethically, your friend only has to be right with himself. If he feels okay about it, that’s what matters. If it’s something he can’t reconcile with himself, he should stop. It may be against the law to do a lot of things and everyone’s line is different.

What time is supper?

well put i agree

This thread is a perfect example of how quick differing opinions and negativity get posted vs anything positive. 4 pages of replies in under 24 hours.
    Post on this site about an actual successful turkey hunt and you’re lucky to get even 10 responses.

And yes I see the irony in me responding here.
    Twist and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    This thread is a perfect example of how quick differing opinions and negativity get posted vs anything positive. 4 pages of replies in under 24 hours.
    Post on this site about an actual successful turkey hunt and you’re lucky to get even 10 responses.

Well at least it's not another Covid thread but I hear you.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    I always remind folks that there are 3 levels of moral adherence...the most current is always what the common folk think....lagging behind that by a few decades (or more) is the laws that are created to close in on the common values...then behind that by another few decades (or more) is what religions teach as "morally correct"...

Interesting perspective.

Ethics comes from common values and are independent from both state and religion.
    We can argue that we embrace religious values, but I believe religion embraced common values and just preserved them for 2000 years.
    Values came before religion.
    Same with the state.
    State imposes what it wants really and always teeters on the boundaries of what's ethical.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

What time is dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post

If the hunting posts had more pics and made it easy to do so I'm certain there would be way more hits! Right now its of legends to figure out how to post a pic! I've tried off my phone, off my Ipad and just gave up! LOL I know Gate has tried to show many off an I-Phone but mine wouldn't do it?

Sorry off topic but back to OP.
    Last edited by browningboy; 05-06-2021 at 03:22 PM.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

If by trapping you mean luring a Tom into an enclosure in your yard and preventing his departure... feeding him an ideal diet and thereby domesticating him... maybe luring in a few hens as well... raising chicks and and retuning more to the local population than are removed... I think it sounds perfectly ethical. You could have turkey for Easter and Christmas as well then.

Outta season is just that - outta season. Thats how it will go in court.
    The Pharmaceutical Industry is just as interested in World Health as the Arms Industry is in World Peace.

"We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one." -Confucius