Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A question of Ethics

Re: A question of Ethics

Sounds kind of like your "friend " is a poacher

"But he wants to be right with himself. Not the law"
    your "friend" already knows the answer in regards to the ethical question
    what he's looking for is forgiveness, seeking that on an internet site is kind of sad
    Statement of honour bestowed upon me by Camp Cook:
    LOL that has to be one of the stup*dest mind numbing off in laa laa land comments I have ever read.
    Feb.13,2024

“ Justification “; we have laws/rules to follow and anything outside of this is as said, poaching.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Ethics and the law this government imposes on us are two very separate things. The way things are these days, I’m more and more inclined to flout the law....sometimes because it’s arbitrary and stupid, sometimes because it’s clearly just a way to garner revenue from citizens, and sometimes just because of who the lobbied for the law....Ethics and the law are not the same....a lot of mans law can get stuffed, but my ethics don’t generally compromise...having said that, I know I’ve done things I’ve regretted.

Ethically, your friend only has to be right with himself. If he feels okay about it, that’s what matters. If it’s something he can’t reconcile with himself, he should stop. It may be against the law to do a lot of things and everyone’s line is different.

What time is supper?
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

It’s legally wrong, that’s clear. I think the ethical issue goes beyond the individual action and consequences. It was legal to shoot buffalo from a train or work as a hide hunter. As a result, the buffalo were all but wiped out. Now your friend is not going to wipe out all the turkeys in whatever region he lives in by killing one a year. The fact that it takes place during a legal bunting season is unimportant, because his method of capture is illegal. The issue here is that our game laws are there to protect wildlife populations and our right and opportunity to hunt. If we all decided to go trap a deer, during deer season, we’d be wildly successful (maybe), game managers wouldn’t change the harvest numbers (cause we were to sneaky to be caught or they were too dumb to catch us), and after a few years, deer populations would plummet. I think this has happened before and may be happening now with unregulated moose harvesting- heavy eye roll. The issue is not with the one turkey, it’s the fact that he’s circumventing laws to manage game that are there to also protect the rights of the rest of us to be able to hunt sustainable animal populations. I don’t support the harvest of animals by anyone who is a) not licensed b) not following hunting laws. It makes it harder to manage game populations the less you know about mortality. Why doesn’t he just shoot his damn turkey? Oh... the shoe just dropped. He’s got houses around him. Imagine the news if one of his neighbours videos a turkey dying in a snare and sends it to the news. Then your friend sticks another nail in our collective coffin. I think you knew the answer to this.

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    So, if you had a friend. Who had some property. And on that property were some wild turkeys. And every year that friend feed those turkeys. Sometimes intentionally. Other times, they raided his garden. And then one day that friend decides to trap and kill one turkey every year for Thanksgiving. One Turkey. He has a firearms license. Is this unethical? Not asking if it's legal. Your friend assumes it's not. But he wants to be right with himself. Not the law. Is it ethical?
    Pretty SERIOUS sh*t there 180 - Maybe he just need's to talk with GOD ! RJ

are there any rules/exceptions for trapping turkeys if you are a farmer "protecting" your farm?

Intentionally killing game without a license and/or outside of the regulated season is poaching. It's really simple.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    are there any rules/exceptions for trapping turkeys if you are a farmer "protecting" your farm?
    Doesn't matter if you don't follow them